Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Beauty and the Beast head / costume

Posted 01-11-2016 07:34

Any suggestions on head gear for the Beast ?  Those of you who have performed this show 

thanks ! 

------------------------------
    Denise Sebastiano
    Carmel Catholic High School
    Mundelein IL

• 2.  RE: Beauty and the Beast head / costume

Posted 01-12-2016 08:44

I have done this show twice. We used costumes from Heartland Costumes in East Peoria, Illinois...awesome company and very workable.

The beast is best if he doesn't have too much on his face due to all the singing. Ours wore a very curly long wig that had horns sewn into it and the rest we did with makeup. I found that the Ruby makeup worked best because it did not rub off. It is the same makeup used for face painting. 

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 3.  RE: Beauty and the Beast head / costume

Posted 01-12-2016 11:38

Hello,

We just wrapped up our B&B production in December and also used Heartland Costumes.  They were AMAZING, although the wardrobe one was super-heavy!

As for the Beast makeup, we used a 2 piece prosthetic that were about 12 bucks each.  They were a chin piece and a brow piece that were easily attached with spirit gum and taken off with the remover.  We used them for 4 performances and 3 dress rehearsals, and they held up GREAT!  I got them online...from FX warehouse.

Below is a pic of our "Beast Double" at the top of the show.  Good luck :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 4.  RE: Beauty and the Beast head / costume

Posted 01-13-2016 07:41

We also used Heartland - their B and B stuff is SPECTACULAR. We, however, had our beast transform so that he was also the Prince at the end. Makeup wasn't an option for us because we had about 20 seconds to remove all the under-padding from our beast before he had to go back on stage. (We used a beast double for part of fight while our beast took his padding off. The double is actually who 'killed' Gaston. He came back in really hunched over right before he transforms and was a great cover. Lots of strobe and smoke - worked well for us.) All that being said - we used a 'grinch' half face mask. It has an elastic strap that went on under his wig. I painted the base with his skin color, then painted darker details that mimicked a more beastly appearance. Did the same for our double. Was great! Consistent each night and they could put it on themselves. Time saver on show nights. 

Jolene Workman
    Director
    Bridgeville DE

• 5.  RE: Beauty and the Beast head / costume

Posted 04-14-2016 09:28
      |   view attached

North Fur Fx has the best beast face and horns!! I used them and they were easy to apply and very believable ……Order early however!!!

Jill Welsheimer
    Quarryville PA

• 6.  RE: Beauty and the Beast head / costume

Posted 05-27-2016 09:48

Hi

We rented the costume from Costume Gallery in Derry NH. We had two students use baby wipes to quickly take off his makeup and the head piece lifted off. We were able to do it in the required time.

Ellen O'Reilly-LaSalle
    Dighton, MA