Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Name for Public Speaking Course

Posted 11-16-2016 10:57

Hello All - 

I am in a private school and am hoping to introduce a class that will help students develop good presentation skills. The head of our school teaches a class called "The Art of Rhetoric and Leadership," but the focus is on the analysis of famous speeches, not the delivery.  In the past, a Public Speaking class was offered, but it was in the English Department and, for a while, was actually taught by the choral teacher.  (Still haven't figured that one out!)   I currently teach acting and improv, but taught public speaking at the college level for many years and feel qualified to take on the class for next year.  However, it is purely an elective so I need to revise and rebrand it in order to attract students to the course.  Basically, I'm looking for a catchy name for our curriculum guide - something that makes it sound exciting.  I've thought about things like "Speaking with Confidence" and "The Art of Effective Presentations," but - "yawn!!!!"  I don't think that will do the trick. Any suggestions or examples from your curriculum and/or experience would be helpful.  

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Studio & Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ

• 2.  RE: Name for Public Speaking Course

Posted 11-16-2016 11:26

Making Your Voice Heard

Speak So People Will Listen

Finding Your Voice

Speak As If You Were The President (no, not that one, never mind)

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Name for Public Speaking Course

Posted 11-17-2016 10:17

Speak Up

I'm Talking To You

The Tip of the Tongue

I said Idiom

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Name for Public Speaking Course

Posted 11-17-2016 08:18

We call ours Creative Communication. It is a speech course but also involves all kinds or presentation skills, podcasting, and scripting and filming.  I like the text from Perfection Leaning by Fran Tanner for the standard speech assignments but you will have to be creative with the rest. Our school is big on collaborative projects between departments and this course certainly lends itself to that kind of work.

Nell Lynch

• 5.  RE: Name for Public Speaking Course

Posted 11-17-2016 19:27

I like Speak Up! or Speak Now! with the subtitle "Making your point so others will listen".

Megan D'Orvilliers
    Coral Springs FL

• 6.  RE: Name for Public Speaking Course

Posted 11-18-2016 06:21

How about Speak for Success as a title? Having student taught in a private school, I know students are motivated to think about their future, and in many cases, are in an atmosphere of positive peer pressure to do well. 

If you're looking for more of a dramatic flair, Speak with Strength

I highly recommend adding an interscholastic element to the course, where you could take students to speech and debate (forensic) contests in your area. This would be the equivalent of the band/orchestra teacher asking students to perform at sporting events, concerts, or solo/ensemble contests. Doing that adds an additional dynamic of motivation, as well as exposing students to other kids from around the area, presenting on important topics. To learn more, visit National Speech & Debate Association.

Best of luck!

Adam J. Jacobi
    Executive Director
    Wisconsin High School Forensic Association
    Ripon WI

• 7.  RE: Name for Public Speaking Course

Posted 11-18-2016 08:08

Speaking with Power

John Doyle
    Keyport NJ