Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Grants Available

Posted 10-12-2020 16:40
    When we returned for the school year, our lighting system completely failed.  This system has been in the theater since it was built back in 1971, so it has to be completely redone.  The price is much more than our school system can handle.  They are being great and optimistic on making it happen, but I wanted to check on grants that might be out there.  I've never really looked into grants, so I'm a little lost on where to start.  I've gone through the search engine at EdTA, but most links I've found are outdated. 

Can anyone help point me in the right direction, or possibly have some links that I can go to?  Thank you all!

------------------------------
    Trevor Yarbrough
    Theatre Teacher
    Dyersburg TN

• 2.  RE: Grants Available

Posted 10-13-2020 09:06

ETC offers 2 kinds of grants. Although, not near the amount you would need for an entire new install. https://www.etcconnect.com/About/About-ETC/Philanthropy.aspx

Look for a community foundation in your region. They often have the capacity to fund sizable projects. Maybe they will match dollar for dollar what they district can afford to commit? Perhaps the regional power company will also match, especially if you are converting to LED's. Pursue contacts that administrators in your district or families in your program might have. Working a contact can often be far more successful in getting your grant seen by the right individuals. 

What exactly failed in the system? A large project like this could be done in a few phases (with the most dire components replaced first). 

Good luck. Fundraising for such a project can be very challenging. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Grants Available

Posted 10-13-2020 09:44

My school district recently replaced the entire lighting system of our Performing Arts Center after only 10 years of existence including the lobby and house lights.

The justification to the board was based on a study done that quantified the savings of switching from incandescent lighting (they must have seen us coming to unload that technology on us a mere decade ago) to LED lighting. 

The break-even point for the $200,000 price tag was supposedly after only something like 5 years.  This may have included the cost of replacing all of those $18 fresnel and ellipsoidal lamps not to mention the man-power and equipment for the every-three-year house light-replacement which required both scaffolding and lifts.

At the time, I was working on a grant-writing project where I hoped to help defray the cost by researching and applying to switching to GREEN TECHNOLOGY.  Unfortunately, nothing panned out for us for the few grants I applied for and I was surprised that I couldn't find more Green Technology grants in this day and age.

Having said that, perhaps something in all this will be of use to you and you have more luck than I.

Best wishes.

Stephen Benjamin
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Garfield Heights OH

• 4.  RE: Grants Available

Posted 10-13-2020 11:47
    Check out the Andrew Lloyd Webber Initiative.

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School