Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Clue: On Stage Effects

Posted 01-19-2020 23:14
    Hello!  I'm looking for some ideas about what others have done successfully for a few of the effects called for in the script of Clue: On Stage.  Most notably, suggestions for:
    1. The body dummies used (where did you purchase these, how did you make them, etc.)
    2. Getting the cop's head to fall off of the dummy body
    3. Making the cop's head look realistic
    4. The lead pipe in Mr. Boddy's skull

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 2.  RE: Clue: On Stage Effects

Posted 01-20-2020 07:58
    For the Body of Boddy/Yvette
    $45.95
    Amazon  Halloween FX Full Size Dummy Mannequin with Hands Fabric Cloth  Sold by Halloween Costume Sale

For Mr. Boddy's head:  JoAnn Fabrics  iTEM #14180947  Styrofoam Male Head Bulk by Floracraft
    $7.95

I am on my way to school right now to work on the lead pipe.  I think we are using foam tubing, covering with Plast'R Craft and painting to look like lead pipe.  The Plast'RCraft will keep it stiff.   We perform in 2 weeks and finalizing props today.   Let me know if you want me to send you pictures.

My favorite prop is the cat Mr. Green is allergic to.   The Robotics team took a cat puppet and made a remote control car for under his body.  His paws move.  It's hilarious. ​

Break a leg!

Mary Bogrette
    Bloomfield Hills High School

• 3.  RE: Clue: On Stage Effects

Posted 01-20-2020 09:39

Somewhat similar to what Mary listed.  But I did realize early on, unless we really want to go for the "gore", it was okay if everything didn't look perfectly realistic. 

We did purchase a few of the dummy mannequins from Amazon.  One for the Cop when his head falls off, and one for the body dropping onto the stage during the Wadsworth's opening monologue. 

For the head we used the same foam head from JoAnn's.  However, we purchased a full rubber mask from Amazon and pinned it to the head.  We tried to match the actor and the mask with makeup.  But again, the audience got this was a gag.  It made it even more entertaining.  I also had to take small rigid pipe and build somewhat of a skeleton in the cop's body so he would sit up in the chair by the phone. 

As for Yvette, I purchased a retail mannequin, again Amazon, and dressed it as Yvette.  It lived behind the drapes the whole show.  That way we didn't have to stress about hanging it during. 

And same thing with the cat.  Radio controlled car with cat on top.  I purchased 2 identical ones since we had one fall from the pipes when Yvette stumbled and the gun when off.  

I have to say it was a fun show.  It was my largest static set ever.  But the audience, cast and crew loved this production. 

Break a Leg!!  

Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 4.  RE: Clue: On Stage Effects

Posted 01-20-2020 15:27
    Hi Sarah,

This was the most fun I had doing a play in a long time. However ,as you stated in your email there are some tricky things to handle prop wise. I will say we decided to do an arm that we velcroed to the actor who died on stage then the living actor ripped off the arm and started tossing it to a choreographed scene from actor to actor. The audience was hysterical laughing ! I hope that helped a little.

Sincerely,
    Laura

Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL

• 5.  RE: Clue: On Stage Effects

Posted 01-21-2020 16:12
    We did not use body doubles; the show can be done without that effect. We simply used the police cap, no head, and it was still a hilarious scene. Let the actors' sell that bit with their reaction. Our Mr. Body came stumbling in (his last moments of life) pulling on the pipe and having it "come loose" from his skull as he died on the floor.

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 6.  RE: Clue: On Stage Effects

Posted 01-23-2020 04:00
    For the cat, I used wire hangers and twisted them and then taped a handle with black gaff tape. The cat bounced while Mr Green controlled and ran after the cat. It was hilarious and the cat stole the show. 

The pipe in Boddy's head was an empty plastic tube that held a ten pack of carpenters pencils painted gray. The base was secured to a big piece of elastic that Boddy wore like a headband. He had black hair and the elastic was black. 
    Cat in Clue prop

Tommie Baravong
    Las Vegas NV