Open Forum

View Only

Double casting one show?

• 1.  Double casting one show?

Posted 11-21-2016 15:10
    Good afternoon,

In the past couple years we have had a large amount of students become interested in our theater program. This is amazing because in the past we have had to beg people to be in shows in order to even produce it. Now I'm having an issue picking a play with a large enough cast. I just can't bring myself to cut students that we have worked so hard to get into the program. I also don't want to pick a play purely based on the fact that it has a large cast. Has anyone ever double casted and had cast A and cast B? What are the Pros and Cons to it? I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Thanks

Jordanne Bradley
    EPHS Theater Director
    Estes Park, CO

• 2.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-21-2016 15:21

I have done a double cast (once). I personally found it more of a hindrance than a help. I don't like having to split the rehearsal time between the 2 casts. What I do instead is have 1-2 swings for both the male and female characters. This provides for a few more kids to be cast and allows for the rehearsals, and sometimes performances, to continue when there is an absence. I also find that the kids who are cast as the swings make more progress in their personal artistic growth because they are required to learn so many parts and characters. When they are not covering for an absent cast member I have the swings shadow during the rehearsal. I also provide a single matinee for the swings where they choose the part they'd like to perform. This gives them the opportunity to perform (which they deserve after their hard work) and allows for the production to go on their resumes. 

I've never had a swing not be cast in a future production (and they usually end up as leads). The swing opportunity allows for so much growth and really instills a good work ethic in the kids. It was a bit of a fight the first year I did this but it's become a normal part of the department.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-21-2016 18:03

The only way I will double cast is if I can literally double cast the entire show.  For instance, Rumors.  If we were to do that, I would likely need to have two casts in order to accommodate enough students.  However, I have done the whole "double cast a few roles but not all" thing and it was not good.  None of the leads got enough rehearsal time, the cast tended to favor one group of leads over the other, we had audience asking "which cast is better" and I swore never again!

That said, we do 3 shows a year so I always choose a show for the winter than can expand to include lots of ensemble.  In the past we've done Up the Down Staircase, Charlotte's Web and Alyce in Wonderland.  Our spring show is smaller and I do cast understudies but they are not guaranteed a performance.  However, our understudies have performed in the spring show for the past 2 years.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-22-2016 07:17

I double casted for about 7 of my last 10 shows. We were just a club and only did one spring show and it made more sense than understudying the roles. I have  2 performances and I allowed the students to pick which night they wanted to perform their role. The last couple of shows did not have true leads, so I wasn't nervous about loosing a performer to the whims of middle school. And I had a collection of high-school students who could swing the roles. 

This year I plan to do Cinderella and I will double cast this play. I find it less insulting than understudying or swinging the roles with the interested parties. 

The only draw back is that the students only perform once in the lead role. So if the two students both want to perform on Friday we run into a small power struggle. It also makes it hard to do a cast photo or single DVD recording. 

I recommend it for middle school shows. especially if you only do 1 show a year. 

Thia
    Teacher
    Coral Springs FL

• 5.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-22-2016 09:25

Hi all!  I have double cast several shows. It has worked for me because I have a wonderful assistant director, and I had several amazing student directors.  The extra work comes in getting stage time!  I would have one cast watch and the other block.  We have also had fun where one cast does the speaking and the other does the blocking during rehearsals. I switch back and forth between casts. Now, I have to make big announcements that I AM NOT double casting the next show!  

Best wishes!

Maria Palassis
    Drama Club & Thespian Society Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 6.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-22-2016 06:54

I completely double cast my fall play, Night Watch which only had 9 roles. Eighteen amazing kids auditioned so I could literally cast all of them. It is more work for everyone to double cast. Twice as much rehearsal time for the director and the cast does not get as much rehearsal time as they normally would. If you decide to do this, be sure that you have students who can rehearse on their own, because they won't learn the lines just by coming to your rehearsal. Also the time in between shows proved to be a challenge so the cast  ran the show in the afternoon before the evening performance. They came in at 3PM took an hour dinner break and came back at 6 for the 7PM show.

To solve the casting "problem" here are some other suggestions.  Do a show like the Odd Couple and cast the male and female version. I also double cast Almost, Maine, which was easier to manage since it is broken up into short one acts. The most crazy thing that I did was to do two shows in rep, A Raisin in the Sun and 1984. Two different sets that moved on and off the stage each night. I don't think that I will do that again, but again I did that for my students who needed to be challenged and the leads are now both in top acting programs at college. Doing what is best for our students and building our programs, such a nice problem to have:)

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 7.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-22-2016 06:58

We have done it several different ways. The only time we double cast a straight play is if it is a class play. In class we want to give everyone an opportunity-- and have to since it's a class and they are getting a grade for performing. This usually gives some of or younger or more inexperienced kids chances to hone their craft for the future. It also allows us to see what they can do, if given the opportunity to play a large roll. Generally our casts are not as preprared on show day when it is double cast. However, with class plays this is to be expected. Out of school straight plays we generally don't double cast and do a smaller show. Understudies as actually bears for us in this case. However, this gives really committed students a chance to learn the technical aspects-- which end up making them better, more moldable actors! I've rarely had a great stage manager, light designer...etc that didn't make the next show! They generally thank us for the opportunity to learn many sides of theatre. 

When hen it comes to the musical we double cast with purpose. When we did Legally Blonde our Elle was double cast. That character's range is so wide that it could be damaging to a student's voice to do 8 in school shows and 6 out of school shows. Keeping our kids healthy was the goal there. I would do this with boys too if the character repeatedly sang very high. We wil also do it if, for example, a kid is heavily involved in another club/sport. We cast two people so that there isn't a hole, but they don't have to choose between the things they love! 

I will warn you though- double casting often creates animosity between the cast. Double casting often creates a compare/contrast mentality (as much as we don't want that, it's true.)  I've seen it tear casts apart-- and destroy confidence. If a student is cast opposite someone who they find to be better, a lot of teenagers implode--especially when the rest of the cast is saying it behind their backs. I've seen some really talented kids offer their worst performances because of it.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you! So happy to see your program thriving! 

Brooke Jackson

• 8.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-22-2016 09:13

I have never double cast a show, so I can't offer advice there.  We did double cast one part in the main school musical and it was a nightmare.  Too much comparison and who was better and who actually deserved it.  If you do double cast, do the whole show, not just leads.

However, my suggestion is for large shows.  I have to have a cast around 25 or higher because my program, too, has grown.  I ADORE Up The Down Staircase.  I have done it twice now.  It is so amazing.  We have also done a fun, one act cutting of Romeo and Juliet, a show called Midsummer/Jersey (a modernized Midsummer), and have recently started a stint with murder mysteries, including Ax of Murder, which is now my club's favorite show ever.  This year I think we are doing Nooses Off, a parody of Noises Off. 

Big cast shows are hard to find, but if you get a good one, it can be great for your program.

Good luck!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 9.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-22-2016 17:55

I have double cast several shows in the past, all in different ways, and have not regretted any of the casting decisions.  In Sound of Music, we double cast ONLY Fredreich (it was down to 2 senior boys, both equally talented, both equally experienced).  Since there was nothing separating them, we doubled the role.  We often would have them rehearse simultaneously, with both of them on stage at the same time.

When we did Wizard of Oz, we doubled all 4 of the friends and the Wicked Witch.  Even having lost the 2 weeks leading up to our opening because of what we lovingly dubbed "Snowpocalypse," both casts felt like they had ample rehearsal time and both performed at a very high level.

Currently, we're working on the radio show version of A Christmas Carol; we double cast the entire show; my student director and I switch off which cast we work every day so both casts get equal time, neither is "favorited" by my, and my student director gets some excellent experience. 

I've also doubled a single role in a farce several years ago because 1 of the young men was extremely flaky, and I didn't know if he would make it to opening night while the other was terrified to be in a show, so I didn't know if he would make it to opening, either.

All of that to say, every show is different; every cast is different.  There are some shows I would never dream of doubling, but I've had very positive experiences every time I've done it!  I just always make sure that whichever actor/cast is not on stage at the time knows that they need to be watching/working/rehearsing and not just sitting around twiddling their thumbs.  

Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 10.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-22-2016 19:31
    I double cast almost all of my girls and some of my guys. This lets more students get an opportunity to play bigger roles. It also helps them develop characters that grow with the perspective of two minds where they challenge and compete with each other. It allows them to see and grow from the way the other actor is doing the part. Girls work usually work harder and are easier to double cast. It also solves the problem of I didn't learn my lines. Well then I say I guess I will have to work with the person who did learn their lines. This healthy competition keeps them focused knowing that you have to work to be put on stage. If they cannot complete the part or get sick... easy solution pull the double cast member. I had to do this one time at the beginning of the show with one girl throwing up in the bathroom. I have cast one do Thursday and Saturday night and Cast 2 does Friday night (the biggest night) and Saturday afternoon the smallest show. There are a lot of advantages to double casting.

• 11.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-23-2016 08:38

I have double cast shows before in many different ways- I find what works best is to double cast upper classmen and under classmen with the expectation in place that my older actors will serve as role-models for my younger actors. It becomes less intentionally competitive and more- let me help you grow. On a side note- it inadvertently makes the older actors work harder because they don't want to be out-performed by someone much younger than them. In that sense it keeps them on their toes- I typically do this for my spring shows when seniors begin to get lazy and apathetic. It prevents that from being the driving force in your program (in my opinion). However, YOU have to facilitate this relationship- (learning from one another and being open to feedback from one another) otherwise it breeds contempt.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 12.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-23-2016 14:17

What a wonderful problem to have: more students than you need! I'm just going to offer one comment and one suggestion. Rehearsing two casts is like rehearsing two plays! Be sure to build enough time into your rehearsal schedule. And do not refer to them as cast A and Cast B. Make them Cast A and Cast 1.

Roger Paolini
    Buffalo NY

• 13.  RE: Double casting one show?

Posted 11-23-2016 22:36

I have double cast before. I won't do it again. Comparisons are always made, if not out loud then definitely by the students themselves privately. My program is pretty big - we see about 70-80 kids audition for our spring musical, and that doesn't count tech or the ones who don't sing and do straight shows. Here's some other ideas instead of double casting:

1. Cast two different shows, and give one of the shows to a student director. Rehearse at the same time in relatively close spaces. Invite the student director to critique your direction and vice versa. 

2. Expand the number/ variety of the shows you offer. Find another faculty member who would be willing to direct a small piece. Have joint auditions and cast simultaneously. This fall, we had two shows: a one-act with a cast of 17, and a full-length with a cast of 20, directed by two different faculty members and rehearsed at the same time. Stagger the performances.

3. Include understudies. I have at least two per production. They substitute when people are absent from rehearsal and sometimes perform at the end of the process.

I have to cut people every time we have auditions, and it hasn't made our numbers go down.  In fact, they've increased because as the quality goes up, more people want to be a part of the show. But I also offer several non-audition opportunities for performance throughout the year, so if you want to perform, you still can.

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA