Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Clue on Stage

Posted 09-02-2019 06:56
    Looking for fluid set ideas... doing in a black box with audience on three sides.
    Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Clue on Stage

Posted 09-02-2019 12:47

I'm still figuring out how to do the set too (we will perform in the spring), and we are in a proscenium, so not quite the same space, but here are some of my crazy and not so crazy ideas:

Periaktoi - Can be useful when changing setting rapidly. May not work too well in a thrust though.
    Lots of movable set pieces on wheels - Make most of the scene changes about re-arranging the furniture. The cast can maybe run through the aisles of the audience while you do this so it feels like they're going to a new room.
    Have a projection just off stage, or above stage somewhere of the Clue game board (look into copyright). Maybe make an animation of footsteps moving from room to room when your scene shifts.
    Have an army of run crew to move pieces on/off stage rapidly. No blackouts, part of the fun is the SPEED and madcap energy of the show, which can also be reflected in the way things get moved around.

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Clue on Stage

Posted 09-03-2019 11:02
    We painted the game board on the stage and used minimal furniture to indicate place.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Clue on Stage

Posted 09-04-2019 10:58
    I did this show in a proscenium, but it was all about the doors. There was a main door and 3 doors on wheels on each side. Actors would exit the stage through one door, the door would rotate (with different color paint on the other side) and we brought very minimal furniture on for each room.

Ellie McIvor-Baker
    Theater Teacher and Director
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Clue on Stage

Posted 09-04-2019 14:45
    There's an article in this month's Teaching Theatre (one of the EdTA publications for members), by yours truly, about how to simplify sets when on a budget, and it may give you some ideas. As I started to outline it, I realized that it would have been so simple -- and probably so predictable -- to discuss technical issues such as how to re-use flats, or how to use rehearsal blocks instead of furniture, or where to get cheap paint, or any number of other details, instead of on how to focus on what's really important: the story. So the article discusses, and shows examples of, how to think of a set in terms of an environment that helps tell the story instead of in terms of scenery. In the end, I realized the piece wasn't just about saving money: it was about good design. You may want to check it out.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 6.  RE: Clue on Stage

Posted 09-05-2019 12:03
    Production photo of JMHS Clue the Musical
    We did Clue: The Musical a few years back and did the moving door idea as someone else did below.  The door frames had a sign and design on both sides so that the three doors could be each of the six rooms. The panels on either side of each frame were cut in the shape of the board game pieces.  They were relatively inexpensive to build and I did spend some money renting a backdrop.  We also made giant playing cards with the actors faces and each of the weapons.  

Mark Wright
    Theatre Teacher
    James Monroe High school
    Fredericksburg VA