Open Forum

View Only

Need A New Comedy Idea

• 1.  Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-04-2018 17:40
    Hello All!

I had planned on getting the rights to do Neil Simon's play Rumors next spring, but we had a prominent member of our small community (and father to two of my students) commit suicide at the end of the school year.  So a play where a man tries to kill himself but hits his earlobe instead will no longer be a wise choice.

There are 10 characters in Rumors, so a cast of 10-15 would be ideal.  I'd prefer to do something contemporary since our last straight play was Thornton Wilder's Our Town.  My students are good actors and adapt easily to different styles; however, our community is fairly conservative.

Thanks in advance for your help!

------------------------------
    Bethany Bax
    teacher and play director
    Greencastle Community Schools
    Greencastle IN

• 2.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-05-2018 08:23
    I once switched from RUMORS to NOISES OFF at the read-through. Long story.

I am pretty sure NOISES OFF has 9 parts.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 3.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-05-2018 09:59
    Leading Ladies by Ken Ludwig is delightful.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-05-2018 11:56
    Have you done "Almost, Maine"? (Probably - seems it's the #1 pick these days)

I'll keep thinking...

Janis Valdes
    Department Chair, Performing Arts
    Villa Duchesne Oak Hill School
    St. Louis MO

• 5.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-05-2018 12:07
    "Proposals", by Neil Simon, is as good as "Rumors" but avoids the problem. 

"Noises Off" would never fly in my conservative town without major rewrites (which of course you can't do).

My favorite is "But Why Bump Off Barnaby", by Rick Abbott. Appropriate, right cast size, and screamingly funny. The set is a bit tricky, but a nice challenge. Follow the script recommendations closely--they work.

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 6.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-05-2018 12:10
    “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” has around 10 delightful characters. Unit set similar to “Rumors” with some revolving bookcases. Great fun. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-05-2018 13:33
    If you like the idea of Noises Off but need it to be better suited for high school, look at Play On.  It's on my list of shows to do at some point - same general idea as Noises Off, but only two acts, no turn table/turning of the set required, and no one in their underwear or having an affiar.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 8.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-05-2018 22:55
    I'm planning on doing Don Zolidis's "Nooses Off," a spoof on Noises Off and Agatha Christie. My students are pretty excited. There are about 15 parts and it is less bawdy than 'Noises Off.'

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 9.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-06-2018 11:03

That's wonderful, Stephen! I hope your kids and community really like it!

I tried to write an homage to Noises Off, since it's one of my favorite comedies ever (with the possible exception of A Midsummer Night's Dream), but I thought that a larger cast and maybe a cast-member not in their underwear the entire time would help schools that can't do Noises Off. 

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 10.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 06-06-2018 15:11
    Don, they really loved it and are so looking forward to working on it when school resumes in August. I am presently getting the licensing details worked out. I really appreciate you writing a Noise Off homage that is produceable by more conservative schools.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 11.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 03-22-2022 09:28
    Hello Don,
    I am looking to direct this hilarious show in my high school this spring. The biggest problem I'm running into with administration is the title. I live in a very diverse district and they feel as though it will be triggering in my community. I wonder if you have encountered this issue with others and if you (or anyone here) have any creative suggestions?  Currently, I am thinking of trying to surround it with wording akin to "a hilarious family-friendly homage to the classic comedy 'Noises Off'". I'd welcome any other ideas. Thanks for continuing to write excellent shows for high schools!

Jim Thomas

• 12.  RE: Need A New Comedy Idea

Posted 03-22-2022 09:36

Hi Jim -

thanks for writing. You're not the first person to ask this question. 

Ironically, the idea for the play came from the title, which was a typo by a teacher writing to me about "Noises Off." He asked if I could write a backstage comedy kind of like "Nooses Off" and there it was. 

I really do need to come up with a subtitle you can use in replacement though. Noises Off, though popular amongst theater people, is probably not a household name to the community where everyone would automatically recognize the pun. 

All that is to say I'm fine with retitling the play. I'm going to think about it and get back to you, but I'm open to suggestions. 

Don Zolidis