Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Into the Woods set

Posted 12-14-2019 08:40
    Would anyone be willing to share photos of their set for Into The Woods?
    --
    Sara Giambalvo
    Vocal Music Director, Theatre Teacher, Theatre Manager
    Herculaneum High School, Senn-Thomas Middle School

NOTE: This electronic mail message contains information that is or may be (a) legally privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure, and (b) intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named. If you are NOT the intended recipient you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying, or distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you ARE the intended recipient or an addressee, you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or in any other manner distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your system and contact the sender.

• 2.  RE: Into the Woods set

Posted 12-14-2019 13:54
    You can always do what a lot of of people are doing nowadays and Google "Into the woods set design." You'll get more photos than you know what   to do with.

Then, you can either copy them or do what professional set designers do and get inspired by them: "That's nice, but I can do better."

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: Into the Woods set

Posted 12-15-2019 11:28
    I always research the other work of designers out there for a particular production as there is a lot of value in seeing what others have done.  Maybe there are color themes that seem to be repeated or shapes and sometimes there is a design posted online for a theater in the round or another challenging and adapted space that yields some new insights.  Then, coupled with my own period and or image and color research for a production, I come up with what I think works for our space, often with student input.  For our current production of Peter and the Starcatcher, for example, my students each completed a paper model in 1/4" scale and then I took all of their ideas and culled them into one design.  It was a pretty neat process and resulted in a set that really worked for us..

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Into the Woods set

Posted 12-15-2019 07:29
    Hi Sara,

Here ya go!  Backdrop/legs were rented from Kenmark Theatrical Backdrops.  Trees were made out of those tubes used to pour concrete columns (different dimensions) that we special ordered from the local Mendards to get the 12 foot tall ones for the main trees and then the 18 foot tall one to make Cinderella's mother's tree.  Then covered in brown paint and muslin to create the bark texture and then dry brushed with black and darker shades of brown.

Other pics - Google Drive
    Google remove preview
    Other pics - Google Drive
    View this on Google >

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEWbOmDamka27P9NYyTDKvW9B6PyejX0/view?usp=sharing

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 5.  RE: Into the Woods set

Posted 12-15-2019 12:59
    Into the Woods Set Design - SJCT 2013
    Google Photos remove preview
    Into the Woods Set Design - SJCT 2013
    13 new photos added to shared album
    View this on Google Photos >

Here are some photos from my design in 2013.  

Penelope Haskew
    Director of Education
    San Juan Comunity Theatre
    Friday Harbor WA