Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 12-23-2018 23:22
    I have a small storage closet at the school to house props, costumes and other theatre items. I already have to be really careful about what I choose to keep from each show because of the lack of space. Just before break, my administration told me they would like me to further reduce my inventory so the space can be shared. I don't have a large budget, we don't even have an actual theatre space, so the items I've kept have been the most expensive and easiest to reuse. What can I do? Just start keeping things in my own basement? How much storage space do you all have? Does anyone get by without any and how? I'm a middle school teacher if that helps for comparison. TIA!

------------------------------
    Laurel Reiley
    IN

• 2.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 12-24-2018 08:36
    I store all of my things at my house in the basement.  At both the elementary and middle school, I use a closet that I put props, costumes, and a few sets into during the last 3 weeks of rehearsals.  Both of my performance spaces are used by other groups and I don't want to risk losing things that I have had to find or made.  I may be being overly concerned but it has prevented any problems.  At most schools, space is at a premium.  One year, as an inclusion special education teacher, since I didn't "need" a room of my own, my file cabinet and locking cabinet were kept in the teachers bathroom.  Choose your battles carefully and make friends with the person who is going to share the space. Hang in there.

Janet Cain
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 12-24-2018 10:53
    About a year ago, we had a Tuff Shed installed on the “patio” area outside my classroom (which is now, conveniently, our scene shop). Takes up very completely weatherproof and secure, and even matched the color scheme of our school (though, I admit, that was accidental). I don’t recall exactly how much it cost, but it wasn’t terrible.

Then, for his Eagle Project for Boy Scouts, our stage manager purchased and installed shelving, Rubbermaid bins, and even rigged something up top with ropes to hold oddly shaped props.

• 4.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 12-24-2018 11:20
    Although I understand many people store materials in their homes, I'm not a fan of this because you truly blur the lines between work and home. I also imagine they aren't looking to get you a portable shed or they would have offered. So you may want to see if there is a community or children's theater company within a reasonable driving distance to your school and see if they would store some of your things which they can then use for free trade.

Joseph D'Aquino
    Theater Dept Chair
    Costa Mesa CA

• 5.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 12-24-2018 12:21
    Present your options to the school, with detailed costs attached. We have a 12x10 storage shed we use for costumes. It sounds like you could do that. A one time expense plus a rigged dehumidifier (self empties the water)kept our costs down. Buying or renting everything on a per show basis? Much more expensive. It comes down to this. Do sports have their own storage? If they do, theatre should. I always joke that we do our jobs so well that most admins think everything magically appears the day of the show. Would they ask a coach to store helmets, sticks, balls etc in their homes? No. Cute OSHA ref, too. You things need to be away from ducts and stored safely. Good luck.

Sent from my iPod

• 6.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 12-24-2018 13:58
    I'd suggest you compile a list of the things that should be stored to reduce production costs. Make it as extensive as makes sense -- without regard to the actual space currently available.  Be very detailed.
    Platforms, flats, stair units, ladders, tools (drills, circular saw, reciprocating saw, supplies for each), furniture (chairs, desks, couches, tables) supplies, paint, prop construction materials (name them), glue guns/sticks, period costumes, contemporary costumes, uniforms, hats, shoes, blouses, shirts, skirts (long, medium, short), fabric, sewing machines, foldable work tables, extension cords, ETC.  
    Make it run for pages and ask if they can provide you with a sea train container outdoors near your theatre space to store those items that would not be damaged by the heat and moisture of weather.
    Failing that, hopefully the list will make it clear that your answer is "Sorry, but No -- I can't spare any of the space I'm currently using."
    Good luck!!

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 7.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 03-20-2019 12:07
    My basement houses 10 years of costumes (weeded out once after year 7), 3 tables, 2 boxes, 2 crates, 20 spears, 3 giant bags of flowers, 5 wooden bushes, and more. No storage at school & anytime left at end of school year gets thrown out by administration. My husband hates it! I use to buy 20 dresses each year to add to collection, I stopped after year 7 & only buy what I absolutely need for the current show.

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 03-21-2019 07:49
    Our drama department made a deal with a local storage company. We put an ad for them in our programs and they donate a 10x20 storage locker. Although we just found out the owner is selling so we hope the new owner is receptive to the deal.

Duane Siewert
    Set Design and Construction
    Rossford High School
    Rossford, OH

• 9.  RE: Storage-or lacktherof

Posted 03-21-2019 12:21
    The one time I had to make a case for keeping my storage I did what others here have suggested: break down how much it would cost to rent or buy new for every show. I was also able to work a sustainability argument (which had been the theme of the previous school year). The thing that put me over the top was showing photos from five previous shows, in which many costume pieces and props kept being reused and re-worked. The admin had never noticed.
    In the end, I got to keep my closet, and the cleaning company put shelving in my wings holding all their cleaning products. No one ever stole or "borrowed" the cleaning stuff. It wasn't ideal, but I was young and full of hope, so I put up with it.

Give them numbers and visuals (if you can)!

Meg O'Connor
    oconnormainstage.com