Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-07-2016 09:40

Hi Everyone,

We're doing The Little Mermaid and I wanted to use a light that looks like water rippling on stage.  Does anyone know of a vendor that isn't amazon (school wont work with amazon) that sells one for a large stage?  I saw some for sale that were for a very small area---I am looking for one that will cover a larger area.  Can anyone recommend a vendor or somewhere to look for this item?  Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Richboro PA

• 2.  RE: Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-07-2016 12:08

This should work for you - I've seen it used from the back of a deep house and it easily covers the stage and was surprisingly bright as well. It has two different beam angles for flexibility. I've used B&H a lot with no problems.

American DJ H2O DMX Pro IR LED Water Wave Effect H2O DMX PRO IR

Bhphotovideo remove preview
    American DJ H2O DMX Pro IR LED Water Wave Effect H2O DMX PRO IR
    Buy American DJ H2O DMX Pro IR LED Water Wave Effect features Simulated Water Effect on Surfaces, Fits 11.5 x 8.75 x 4.75" Footprint. Review American DJ DJ & Effect Lights, Stage & DJ Lighting
    View this on Bhphotovideo >

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-08-2016 05:49

You might want to talk to your local Lighting Rental company, they can rent you gobo rotators or loops that can give you this effect and they can go in stage fixtures, typically the smaller units are more for a dark club setting and really don't have the punch you are looking for when you add front light to see the performers.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-09-2016 09:38

Lori, one low-tech option you might try is putting gobos into several instruments and fading them in and out individually, creating the illusion of moving water.  If you've got blue lights as your dominant gel color for water, gel those instruments in green.  

Sometimes we stress too much over finding the perfect solution, when there are reasonable alternatives that will suffice and let us get back to the business of directing.  (I am guilty of this.)    

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-09-2016 11:09

Brilliant idea - and so simple!

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA

• 6.  RE: Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-10-2016 08:00
    We got some very cheap ones on amazon.  They worked to make our whole auditorium look under water. $15 each I believe.  

--
    Jill Welsheimer
    Director of Instrumental Music and Theatre Arts
    Perryville High School
    410-996-6000

• 7.  RE: Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-08-2016 08:07

Hey, I like the American Dj H20 one, but I have learned that it doesn't seem strong enough when other lights are on around it. I have never seen it do well from a distance other than in complete darkness. I would try like someone else said and rent a gobo rotator. The other option if you have it in the space is a projector of moving water or the likeness there of. Just a thought. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 8.  RE: Little Mermaid water light? Help

Posted 11-08-2016 12:08

You would need to go with the pro version on the ADJ H2O - it has 50 watt source rather than a 12 watt for the cheaper one. If the other lights are fairly dim, it should cut through with no problem (but not if they are full). Of course, it is a one-application fixture.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA