Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Curtains?

Posted 08-11-2018 10:04
    Hi Friends,

Does anyone have any experience with producing Curtains or the school edition of Curtains? If so, what was your experience like? What were the greatest challenges? How was it received?

Many Thanks!
    Jess

• 2.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-12-2018 11:49
    Jess, We did Curtains in 2010 and it was a great success. Our two biggest issues were flying the Detective and the old west fort. We couldn't afford to actually fly him in so we got creative with lights and slight of hand to make it seem like he stepped off the world. The fort we made with actual long logs. It wasn't hard to build but it was extremely heavy to fly in and took four people to operate the ropes. We also used a standard construction scaffolding to roll on for the scene in the rigging. We again hid the bottom with light and black drapes.

My students really liked doing the show. The play within the play was a interesting experience to be able to create two characters. I highly recommend doing the show,you will have loads of fun.

------------------------------
    Stewart Hawk
    Garfield Theatre Department Chair
    Washington State Thespian Co-Chapter Director
    206-252-2408
    sthawk@seattleschools.org
    http://www.garfieldstage.org/
    http://washingtonstatethespians.com/

• 3.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-13-2018 17:44
    When I saw the show on Broadway, I thought this will have a great after market. Because it is a show that high schools can easily do. The globe could be rolled in on a cart then turned to reveal the body.

Fun, fun show with great music and a lot of roles for both genders.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 4.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-12-2018 14:53
    Hi we produced the school edition this past spring.  It was an awesome show but a hard sell for the community.  We had the detective swing on a line that was kept off stage and was supported from our grid.  He stood on a ladder and swung in just after we released a sandbag from upstage.  It worked out well.  
    The target was an easy rig and we simply had a pressure canister controlled off stage with flour at the end of a hose
    It requires several costume changes and many boots. 

There are many changes in location since you have a show in a show.  We rented 2 backdrops  (the bar scene and the exterior western town) but if you have it in the budget you could add Kansas land, back stage and the dream sequence.  order these early if you want them.

We also purchased small strip lights to use as foot lights and blinders for the reverse scenes.  

Overall it was a great show

Jo Pillsbury
    Theatre Director
    Rochester Community Schools
    Rochester Hills MI

• 5.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-12-2018 15:03
    Did the original in 2010 and the School Edition in 2018.  No real difference except some shortening of songs.  This was one of the best shows we've ever done.  
    Needed:   2-3 strong females, 1 good male tenor, a charismatic male lead (especially if there's something nerdy or cutely weird about him) and a great choreographer.   Let me know if you need more info!

--

"Art must make perceptible, and as far as possible attractive, the world of the spirit, of the invisible, of God." - Pope John Paul II (Letter to Artists, April 4, 1999)

Bonnie Wilson
    Performing Arts Department, Instructor

Notre Dame Preparatory High School
    9701 E. Bell Rd // Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    O: 480.634.8360

www.NDPSaints.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Linkedin

• 6.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-12-2018 15:04
    And it was received well in our Catholic school; needs careful direction only.

--

"Art must make perceptible, and as far as possible attractive, the world of the spirit, of the invisible, of God." - Pope John Paul II (Letter to Artists, April 4, 1999)

Bonnie Wilson
    Performing Arts Department, Instructor

Notre Dame Preparatory High School
    9701 E. Bell Rd // Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    O: 480.634.8360

www.NDPSaints.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Linkedin

• 7.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-12-2018 15:56
    I highly recommend Curtains. I directed it a couple years ago and we had a blast. At first the theatre students weren't excited - mainly because they didn't know the show. After watching some clips and hearing the soundtrack (and learning that there are about 16 named roles) they all got on board and loved the experience. Audiences loved the show as well.
    The biggest challenges I can remember: raising and lowering the dead body/main curtain at the end of Act I, and handing the clam chowder to the student playing Sasha the conductor (we used a long pole with a hook that we kept in the orchestra pit).
    Great roles, classic story, fun music, good dance numbers - what's not to love?
    I remember we really played up the "whodunnit" mystery of the show to intrigue audience members.
    Best wishes!

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 8.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-12-2018 18:19
    Yes!  We did this hysterically funny show 10 years ago - first show in our new theater -

while much of the play can take place on a "blank stage" there are also several big set pieces you will need for the show they are producing.  Our two story Saloon was bigger than it needed to be - but fun!  And then there's "IN the Same Boat" which kind of needs set piece after set piece to keep coming on - adding to that never-ending / ever-growing / larger and larger and larger feeling as the song continues to dove tail itself..

I can answer questions if you have them:   jbengford@cuhsd.org

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair / Theatre Educator & Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell, CA
    www.WestmontDrama.com

• 9.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-13-2018 13:37
    Absolutely LOVED producing this show. You will need some good costumes and set resources and students with a knack for comedic timing. We used the edits suggested in the script for a few of the more off color jokes, but that was it. Producing this show was just so much fun. If you can pull off the comedy, you audience will absolutely love it. It is loaded with great production numbers that involved the entire cast and has a plethora of fun character roles. One of my all time favorites. Have attached a publicity photo.

Jill Campbell
    State College Area High School
    ARTsmART(Learning Enrichment/Gifted Support)
    Director State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    jkc11@scasd.org

• 10.  RE: Curtains?

Posted 08-14-2018 15:33
    Hi Jess

Fantastic show!  I flew DHP and Ernie for the Broadway show, and I have done around 60 of them since it was released.  The music is fun and all of the casts I have worked with have had an awesome time.

You can do the show with or without flying, but the flying does add a neat element to the show.  As with any flying show, I recommend getting a quote.  Quotes from flying companies are free, and you can't be sure you can't afford it until you know how much or little it is, right?

Feel free to hit me up if you want to chat about ways to do the effect with or without flying :-).

All my best.

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois