Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 01-07-2018 21:34
    Hello Beloved Theatre Community,

We are producing The Wizard of Oz for our spring musical this year, and I'm struggling to figure out how to manage to get fire on stage? I might be able to work around the "explosions" the script calls for every time the Wicked Witch enters and exits (although I'd be open to cool ideas for that, too), but the Wicked Witch needs to throw a fire ball at the Scarecrow and (even more difficult) the Witch's broom needs to be on fire in order to justify Dorothy throwing water on her to kill her in the end.

Any ideas? I'm still finding out if I can have any sort of smoke on the stage. So, perhaps ideas that don't just revolve around smoke would be quite helpful.

Thank you, and I hope your 2018 is inspiring, productive, and full of storytelling!

Cheers,

------------------------------
    David Roby
    Drama/LA Teacher
    Nathan Hale High School
    Seattle WA

• 2.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 01-08-2018 06:24
    You could use a moving light effect for the fireball as an option, also there are battery powered torches out there you can get for a smaller fire, these may work for you.
    You mentioned fog, yes that for the witch appearing is common, make sure if you do use to get quick discipating fluid.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 01-08-2018 07:20
         When we did that show almost 18 years ago, we used flash pots with powdered smoke for the witch's entrance and exits.
         For the broom, we mounted a flash throw device which shot out a small ball of flame from the end. As soon as the Witch did this, we had the Scarecrow use a lighter to light a sheet of flash paper on her arm, which was covered with flame retardant material. She waved her arm for a second or two and the paper dissipated into nothing, but the audience didn't notice and thought the flame had traveled the distance.
         We paid the local fire department to oversee each show and make sure it was all safe. We even used blue dot gun powder for a high flame effect in flash pots each time the Wizard spoke and they complimented us on our effects and safety.
         Have fun, but be safe. Flames and smoke around students is nothing to be careless about. 

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 4.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 01-08-2018 09:16
    Here is what we used:

Pyrowizard™ Double Shooting Flash Gun
    Home remove preview
    View this on Home >

Robert Kohler
    Kansas City MO

• 5.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 01-08-2018 10:40
    It's also possible to look at the show a little differently and try to place the production in an environment of make-believe and fairy tale-- I think one of the things the movie does is to make people think that the special effects are necessary, when it is possible to simplify the story and use simple devices like misdirection and ensemble work to communicate a lot of the ideas-- such as fire, or heightened tension, etc.  

I would use high caution in the use of flash devices and seek out the help of a trained and licensed professional if you choose to go that route.

Fog is always a fun device as is the use of strobe and other lighting effects.  Even then, make sure to advise your audience that those devices are in use and as mentioned earlier use quickly dissipating fluid.

You can also build a larger silk fire effect if youlike-- it's just a fan and the silks with a light underneath.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 01-08-2018 11:01
    We used a flash cotton effect - a palmed device.  Both the witch and scarecrow had one and the "throw" was a pair of detonations - first the witch with throwing motion and then the scarecrow right in front of her torso.  That way, if one or the other failed to set off the cotton (the igniter was similar to the rotating flint on a lighter), the effect still came across.  I think it ended up being a really good experience for the actors, in that it forced them to be really conscious of their movement  - always a good thing to practice.  

We had plans initially to team up with an upper level chemistry course to make our own flash cotton. It's a relatively simple lab project using supplies that, while hazardous, are part of a normal lab's stock.  But the timing didn't work out, so we went with a commercial product. Safety is vitally important with any sort of fire effect, but this is less dangerous than something like a live candle (which we haven't done onstage, but do all the time here in religious services).

Rob Kimbro
    Theatre Teacher
    Houston TX

• 7.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 01-08-2018 11:05
    Hi!

When we did a production of The  Phantom of the Opera.  I used a machine that produced lights and a fog blast.  I got it from Sensory Light and Sound a theatrical rental company here on Long Island.  The liquid dissipates very quickly and does not set off the fire alarm.  It works with a remote control.  We used it when the Phantom appeared at the mascaraed party. It was very effective.  I'm not sure where you are but here is their number 631-851-1052 they could probably point you in the right direction.  

Good luck with your production!

Carol] Siegel
    Certified Theatre Educator
    Island Trees High School
    Levittown, NY
    516-520-2135

• 8.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 02-12-2018 19:46
    We did Wizard last year and used the Gyser Pro machine for the exploding effects for the Witch and Oz. Super awesome and highly recommend it. They aren't too pricey to buy considering tech these days and I think you can rent them too. We don't have a theatre on campus so we perform out of the local community theatre space. They happened to own a couple of these machines and lent them to us for the show. Made a world of difference in the special effects and wowed the audience. They shoot fog into the air and have hundreds of lighting color combinations. Many rock bands use them in their concerts. Check it out here.

As for the flame effect we couldn't afford to hire a pyro guy and we were concerned about the safety of high school actors so instead we used tiny LED lights woven into the broom and Scarecrow's jacket. The lights were battery operated and had tiny on/off buttons the actors pushed when the lights needed to be turned on and then off again. The battery packs were small enough to be hidden at the end of the broom and inside the jacket. Even the professional tech crew at the theatre was quite impressed the trick, they'd never seen anything like it. You can find these lights almost anywhere, we got ours at a craft store. I believe they are called firefly lights because they are super tiny and come strung on a very thin wire.

Jillian Lietzau
    Englewood CO

• 9.  RE: Wizard of Oz -- Fire on stage?

Posted 02-23-2018 16:12
    ​Chauvet DJ makes Geyser  that shoot fog out that is lit with LED lights, and it looks like fire, goes about 10-15 in the air.
    Inexpensive and good effect.  You have to have someone operate separately, but it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-Geyser-T6-Machine-Pyrotechnic/dp/B071R6Z6JY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519420296&sr=8-5&keywords=geyser+chauvet

Brandon Kalbaugh
    Theatre Arts Director
    Broad Run High School
    Ashburn VA