Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  MS Drama

Posted 08-16-2017 20:45
    We have volunteers who direct one MS and one elementary show a year. I would like to provide the directors of those shows with a set of expectations and stage vocabulary; a "curriculum" to follow, so that by the time they reach the high school, all kids will have a common base of knowledge. Does anyone have something already established that I may use as a base and not have to "reinvent the wheel"?

------------------------------
    Stan Gibbs
    Parma Western HS, MI
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: MS Drama

Posted 08-17-2017 19:35
    I have the privilege of directing a production each year at an elementary/middle school dedicated to the arts and global studies. 
    Every 5th grader experiences Theatre one hour of instruction for 12 weeks then we audition for the musical Jr. version; every student is cast. We rehearse 3 times each week for 2 weeks then 5 times each week for the 3 weeks prior to technical inclusions.
     The course work is scaled for maximum learning with simple homework preparation. My goal is to have each student familiar with stage and rehearsal terms and experience the terms. Topics include, but not limited to: ensemble experiences, supporting each as a valuable member of the ensemble, slate, full front, take stage, wait offstage, active listening, showing support of fellow actor, focus, neutral stance, pantomime, simple action mime, 5 senses mime, side coach, stage directions, fourth wall, improvisation guidelines and experiences, individual improvisation, acting out a 1 minute fairy tale with character voices, vocal techniques (projection, clarity, diction, vocal variety, tongue twisters, intention, accents, crying, laughing, calling off stage, stage whisper, gibberish demonstration, gibberish commercial), audition techniques, choice of roles, acceptance of assigned role, support of others in their assigned roles. Then we start into rehearsals of achievable staging components, then vocal work, stage presence, improvising if someone needs assistance, thanking one another,character backstory, character walk, stance, voice; then interfacing set, props, costumes, lights, sound, makeup; along with care of self and things of the play, attendance at every rehearsal/performance. Finally after the performances, there is reflection time of learning and application of the principles to life skills.  

That is a comprehensive list. The way the director/teacher accomplishes presentation is up to the structure of class/rehearsal time. 

Let me know if you have questions.
    P.S. Realize that because every child is cast, that some are more proficient than others. 

Gai Jones, Vice President of EdTA Governing Board