Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fiddler on the Roof costume assistance

Posted 01-13-2019 10:41
    Assistance, please?
    Performing Fiddler on the Roof in Southern Michigan this winter... Looking for: 1. Tall boots for Russians 2. Grubby boots for male villagers, 3. Fruma-Sarah long cloth costume (not sure yet if she'll be laddered or flown), 
    Good sources for borrow, rent, or purchase will be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Stanley Gibbs
    Spring Arbor MI

• 2.  RE: Fiddler on the Roof costume assistance

Posted 01-14-2019 16:34
    I don't know what budget you have to work with, but boot covers/tops might be your better and most cost effective option for your Russians.  Most you'll find are very pirate, but there are some more basic Russian looking ones if you look around.  Bonus: They are also easier to store after the production is over than full, clunky boots.  Villager shoes:  I would Goodwill (or some other thrift store) those.  That way they are affordable and don't look uniform.  You can also distress or alter them as needed. Fruma Sarah:  I would contact local high school or college theatres directly.  Chances are there is one of these floating around somewhere in one of their costume stashes.  If not, curtains (sheer and solid) from either thrift stores or Walmart are great cost effective ways to get the quantity of fabric you need.  Someone with minor sewing ability could drape and attach them around a basic thrift shopped appropriate dress for a good effect.

Allyssa Downs
    Arnold MO