Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 07-31-2020 10:15
    Hi folks, Knowing the kind of uncertainty most of us will face in the theatre classroom this year, a friend and I began a project that begins in play-writing and culminates in performance, online or in-person. It's called the 2020 Vision Project and you can check it out at www.2020visionproject.us
    Here is a description in a nutshell: you help your students create monologues and short plays (Devised, improv, collaboration, individual, etc) about their personal experiences in 2020. Their best work gets included in a collection that can be performed at no cost. We think our young people have a lot to say and that we should help them express it. Feel free to contact me with questions.

2020 Vision offers your students an opportunity to express their view of these remarkable times. This project will compile a collection of scripts of original dramatic works (monologues or short plays), created by students across the region,  and make it available for performance in any manner, virtual or in-person, at no cost. It will allow directors and actors to choose which plays best suit their resources and circumstances. Although the works may address specific events and experiences, we hope they will provide a window for young people in the future to view the world in 2020.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-01-2020 17:57
    This is exactly what I am planning to do with my students this fall instead of a "fall play." Thank you so much for sharing and please keep us updated with any further news about this project. I'm excited to learn that other theatre educators are thinking along the same lines as me!
    All the best,
    Summer

------------------------------
    Summer Heartt
    Theatre Arts - Teacher/Director
    American Canyon High School
    American Canyon, California, USA

• 3.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-03-2020 09:28
    Sounds amazing but it's southeastern only... maybe tge west coast teachers are interested in setting one up too?

Kaz Chandler
    Theatre Artistic Director/ Instructor
    Beverly Hills High School
    Kchandler@bhusd.org
    424-558-0299

• 4.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-03-2020 15:24
    Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed the Southeast region specified because it wasn't in the entry guidelines.
    Perhaps Frieda would be willing to open it up nationwide or allow us to duplicated her idea for the west?
    Thanks,
    Summer

Summer Heartt
    Theatre Arts - Teacher/Director
    American Canyon High School
    American Canyon, California, USA

• 5.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-03-2020 17:59

@ Summer- yes Frieda got a hold of to see if I wanted to run one for west coast.  I do but need help as I'm also mentoring the new 6th - 8th grade ​acting teacher and have 6 preps myself.  

Anyone interested??? 

Kaz Chandler
    Theatre Artistic Director/ Instructor
    Beverly Hills High School
    Kchandler@bhusd.org
    424-558-0299

• 6.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-02-2020 08:40
    Dear Freida,

Hello.
    I think this is a great idea, and I would like my students to participate.  I have signed up for my school, and I have been to the website, but I have questions.
    Can you please contact me at rizzol@miamicountryday.org so that we can find a time to speak.

Thank you,
    Laura

Laura Rizzo
    North Miami FL

• 7.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-03-2020 07:26
    Freida,

Thank you for starting this program. I have my students write a play (as a class) about a topic that interests them. I usually have them do this in the spring semester; however, your project is very intriguing! Jane Dewey and I have talked about this and I look forward to participating. 

Darell Rickmers,
    Theatre Teacher
    John W. Bate Middle School
    Danville, KY 40422
    darell.rickmers@danville.kyschools.us

• 8.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-04-2020 14:44
    Frieda,

I am following this thread too. I am also planning on working on student-written monologues for my fall production and place them in site-specific locales around campus. a Northeast version of all of this?

Jen

[Jen] [Jordan]
    [Director of Theater and Dance]
    [Junior Class and Day Student Advisor]
    [Miss Hall's School]
    [Pittsfield] [MA]

• 9.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-07-2020 08:08
    Hello Jen and Frieda,
         I am a high school theater teacher in Rhode Island and wonder if we can adapt this project for our region. Much thanks.
    Nancy

[Nancy][Vitulli]
    [Theater Teacher/Drama Director]
    [CHSW]
    [Cranston] [RI]

• 10.  RE: Virtual Theatre Project

Posted 08-08-2020 12:06
    I am interested too in CT!

Christina Vincent