Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Textbook on set design for HS teachers?

Posted 07-24-2018 12:11
    I've bought this up a couple of times before (here and elsewhere), and the response has always been lukewarm. However, in view of some recent posts, I'll throw it on the table again.

Is there a real need for a book on set design specifically geared towards high schools? I don't see this as a treatise on how to build flats or even on tech theatre (there's enough of that already), but on how professional designers approach creating an environment to support a story. It would cover script analysis, research, and the phase-by-phase process of designing a set as well as how to prepare the design documents. And it would cover how to think in terms of the many alternatives to standard flats and "realistic" scenery.

Based on what I read here, I think it would be useful; what I don't know (what I can't know) is how many teachers would actually consider buying it.

Any thoughts?

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 2.  RE: Textbook on set design for HS teachers?

Posted 07-25-2018 09:10
    Hello George,
         I love the proposed idea on how to approach set design.  As a non-technical theater teacher, the best I can offer my students is how to develop a design as a story telling element.  How to create a place that supports the story, script analysis, research, and the steps involved are crucial to this process and I would appreciate this resource geared toward high school teachers and students.
         Thank you,
         Nancy Vitulli
         Theater Teacher/Drama Director
         Cranston HS West, Cranston, RI

Statement of Confidentiality The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for the addressee.The information may also be legally privileged. If you have received this transmission in error, any use,reproduction, or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited.If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message. 

• 3.  RE: Textbook on set design for HS teachers?

Posted 07-26-2018 08:10
    Hi, George.

I teach IB Theatre and several of the assessments require students to approach set design in the way you just described.  A book that would teach the process would be extremely helpful.  Please let me know when it's ready!  Thanks for all your wonderful, helpful posts and blogs.

[Karen] [Malone]
    [National Board Certified Teacher of English]
    IB Theatre Teacher
    ITS Advisor
    [Commack High Schoo]
    [Commack] [New York]

• 4.  RE: Textbook on set design for HS teachers?

Posted 07-31-2018 19:45
    Hi George

My answer is yes and no.  

Yes, because I'm always looking for ways to learn and new ways to approach my technical theatre classes, so I would buy this book.

However, I would also say no because the CTE standards are going through an overhaul right now.  They are moving away from standards based in design and moving more towards standards that are more "hands-on."  So they will focus more on the set building process than the design process.  

But i would still buy it just because you're awesome!

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 5.  RE: Textbook on set design for HS teachers?

Posted 08-01-2018 11:54
    Hi, Jeana,

Awwwww, gowrsh, gee,  I'm touched.  :-)  Thank you.

I'm intrigued by this pending overhaul, since someone would still be needed to design the sets (and possibly lights and costumes too). So I'm guessing the teachers would be required to do it, or to hire outsiders. Do you have any more info on that, or maybe a link?  Thanks.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.georgefledo.net

• 6.  RE: Textbook on set design for HS teachers?

Posted 08-03-2018 16:53
    Hi All, 
    I am actually the person who is starting to work on the curriculum for CTE in AZ, but as a former CTE Tech Theatre teacher I just am having trouble wrapping my brain around how these things will miraculously come to life without designs.  If I were still teaching, I would continue to teach the design aspect.  As a writer, I will try to create supplemental materials and talk to my directors to make sure some of our past design-heavy lessons stay on our website as resources.

But if there is a general textbook in Arizona that people have turned to, I would like to know so I can have methodologies that are generally followed.  Please feel free to share your ideas with me.  It is a daunting task to write for my peers.

Thank you,
    Debbie MacKinney
    AZ CTE Curriculum Consortium

[Debbie ] [MacKinney]
    [Curriculum Writer]
    [AZ CTE Curriculum Consotium]
    [Tucson] [AZ]

• 7.  RE: Textbook on set design for HS teachers?

Posted 08-03-2018 19:34
    I'm not a teacher, much less a teacher in AZ, but, as an outsider looking in (and especially if I were a parent of a high school kid), my first question would be, what's the goal here?

The terms "tech theatre" and "stagecraft" aren't all that different when you come to think of it. I just googled them and they are often used interchangeably. So changing the title from one to the other (as you mentioned in the other thread), by itself, doesn't really do anything. And, again, someone (the teachers?) will still need to design the things before they can get built. Hiring outside designers is an option, but, from what I've seen here over the past couple of years, most admins don't see that as a legitimate investment in the students.

I guess I'm just really curious as to what "their" intentions are and where this is all going.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.georgefledo.net