Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-12-2016 09:20
    I am directing 12 Angry Jurors and curious how to break down rehearsals into 2 hour blocks. Has anyone directed it before and willing to share their rehearsal schedule? Thank you so much and happy holidays!

• 2.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-13-2016 05:57

I had hoped to direct it but couldn't find out where to pay production fees. Where did you find it? I had planned to break it down by the votes.

------------------------------
    Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 3.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-13-2016 08:54

According to a rep I talked to from Dramatic Publishing, you purchase scripts for 12 Angry Men and a script for 12 Angry Women and you create your own.  Sounded weird, but that is what she said.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-13-2016 08:37

How timely - I also am directing this show right now.  In fact auditions end today.  I would love to hear how others have handled rehearsals for this show.

Thanks,

Janet Rhoads
    Drama Teacher
    Andale High School
    Andale, KS

• 5.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-13-2016 10:28

I directed this show in the spring of 2015 and it was my first, so I was certainly no expert. It was a great show though and I learned so much. The script is broken into 3 Acts and I used those to break up the rehearsal schedule, although I did have every actor (except the guard) called to every rehearsal because this is just that kind of show. You need everyone all the time.

We rehearsed Monday through Thursday from 2:00-4:00 and it's a long, complicated story but we only had about 5 1/2 weeks of rehearsal (spring break was in there too and I was out of town for a couple of days for my brother's wedding- Yikes!) But it all worked out in the end.I did a day or two of blocking for each act, 2-3 days of working rehearsals for each act, and then lots and lots of run throughs. 

If I had to go back and do it again I would have added Friday rehearsals and I have to every production since. :) Also, of course, a longer rehearsal period. Two hours was sufficient for a rehearsal of one act, but it was a challenge when we started with full run throughs. Ultimately the show runs at about 90 minutes but during the rehearsal process when lines and cue pickups aren't what they should be, plus adding time for notes, etc. the two hour time frame was not really enough. We ended up extending rehearsals to 5:00 as the performance dates got closer.

The biggest challenges that we faced with this show was blocking (we did ours in the round) and line memorization. This show is very wordy and sometimes the dialogue feels like it's going in circles as they revisit old points, etc. and it can be difficult to remember which line of logic/argument comes when.  

It was a crazy 5 1/2 weeks but I had an awesome group of hard working students and it turned out really well! I'm sure your production will be great!

Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Port St. Lucie, FL

• 6.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-14-2016 11:25

We just did it last year, and until tech/dress/performance week we rehearse three times a week for three hours.

The first three rehearsals after the table read were for blocking, one day per act. I then split the script roughly in half for a couple weeks of stop-start working rehearsals. I varied the stopping point, so there wasn't a 'seam' in the run of Act 2.

The second to last week before show week we did RNR (Run, Notes, Run) rehearsals of Act 1, then 2 and 3 (we only took one intermission). The final week we did full run throughs with notes. I'm not sure I would have wanted to condense that work into two hours instead of three, but I'm sure it is possible.

It's a fun show, challenging to stage, and challenging for the twelve actors who get to be on stage and in character for the whole hour and a half of a very talky script. Invariably, people are pleasantly surprised by this show, because it's hard to create excitement over "Twelve jurors are arguing over whether the killer really did it or not." The story is so much more engaging than its tagline.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-16-2016 08:04

I would like to direct this in the next year or so and was wondering the same thing! I'll be following this for advice. (:

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 8.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-20-2016 03:29

A couple of years ago we tried a new way of working on shows.  I got the idea from this forum, though I can't remember whose idea it was or what they called it.  We call it "nose to text" and it works like this:

1. Read the scene.  No blocking, no real intonation, just read it, nose to text, word for word, exactly what's on the page.
    2. Put the books aside and act the scene.  They won't get every word or even every line, but they must get from the beginning to the end.  If we're doing a really complicated scene or doing more than a couple of pages at a time, we'll first outline the highlights - "what topics do you have to cover?" is usually what I say to them.
    3. Grab the books, read again.
    4. Put the books away, act the scene again.
    5. Lather, rinse, repeat as many times as needed.

The thing I love with this is it gets them out of the books early, the blocking is very organic, and they leave with the scene memorized.  We totally skip the line calling phase when we use this version.

On the flip side, if you go with a method like this, you have to be ready to accept that it will take longer to get the whole show blocked.  Under normal circumstances, I get a show blocked in a week, two max, and then the rest of the time is for refreshing and refining.  With this, last time we didn't finish blocking until we'd been rehearsing 4 or 5 weeks, but when we finished, the whole show was done and there was very little refining to be done.

I personally wouldn't do it with every show - we didn't do it with any of our shows last year - but there are some shows that it works well with.  In my opinion, it's best for shows with a lot of standing/sitting around and talking, where it's more about relationship and conversation than action.  We used it for A Company of Wayward Saints before and now we're doing it with The Diviners.  I think it might work really well for a show like 12 Angry Jurors.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 9.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Question

Posted 12-20-2016 08:32

This is my favorite way to work on a script. We often break it into 'beats' of a page or two each, and rehearse it that way.

As an additional means to explore the scene and its characters, I ask my kids to pick a specific, playable objective each time they run the beat. No 'to be upset' or 'to not help her' - more like 'to prove my point' or 'to push him past his breaking point.'

We run each beat three times, and usually the third time I ask the actors to generate an 'outrageous' objective, that they think their character would not pursue. Often, we stumble across what's really going on in a scene by playing against our preconceived notions of the characters and what they want.

This makes it ideal, even preferable, to wait on blocking until as late as the final week before dress rehearsals. Why tell the actors where to move if they don't understand the characters' intentions yet?

It's slow going, and not always necessary, but a splendid way to explore a more complicated script.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL