Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-24-2021 11:05
    Who has done Steel Magnolias? Pros, Cons, Challenges, Advice, Etc....GO! :)

------------------------------
    Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 2.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-25-2021 10:48

I directed Steel Magnolias a few year ago, and it was an amazing experience! It was the first and only time I had done a play with only 5 girls. I also had a female stage manager, and only females to run tech. I pampered them with their own makeup kits, photo shoots, and flowers before the show. The play itself was a huge acting and set design challenge which was a wonderful learning experience for all of us! I would recommend it highly!

PS…. We also produced Forever Plaid that year with only guys to make it work! 

Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN
    Suzanne.Craig@Lipscomb.Edu

• 3.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-25-2021 12:13
    Sarah, I directed Steel Magnolias a number of years ago. It's a lovely show great ensemble vehicle for women. One needs to be careful in balancing the personalities of the various characters.

The biggest challenges we faced were technical. We had an active working sink. It took us a while to find actual salon sink and chairs, but it made all the difference in atmosphere of the beauty shop.

It took us a while to get the water flow and heat of the water comfortable for the actors. After a major flooding we determined we had to pump the water out as fast as it came into the sink. Our original 5 gallon bucket filled up way too fast.

Let me know if you'd like to talk, I'm just across town from you.

Stewart Hawk
    Washington State Thespian Co-Chapter Director
    stewart.hawk@gmail.com
    http://washingtonstatethespians.com/

• 4.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-28-2021 09:50

We have a couple salon chairs from our production you could have but they're on the other side of the country.

The offer goes out to any other Steel Magnolia productions this year that are willing to come take them off our hands in Ohio.

Love to keep them.  Running out of room.

Stephen Benjamin M.A. M.Ed.
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Garfield Heights City Schools
    Center for the Performing Arts
    4900 Turney Road
    Garfield Heights, Ohio     44125
    (216)  662-2800     X52404

-- 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information.  Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify me.  Thank you.

Confidentiality Notice:  This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information.  Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are  hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify me.  Thank you!

• 5.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-26-2021 01:51
    I directed "Steel Magnolias" a number of years ago, and it turned out to be one of my best productions.  Here's what I remember were MUSTS for its success:  Your ladies must develop mature characters in terms of outlook, goals, gestures, mannerisms. Your beauty shop must be authentic.  Hopefully you have access to a plumber for the necessary water hookup.  And the southern dialect must be genuine.  Best of luck!

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ

• 6.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-26-2021 13:07
    Hi!  I did it last year in the spring and LOVED every minute of it.  It's a TON of lines for most of the girls in the cast, but is such a great opportunity for character development with the kids.  My cast was all seniors except for my Shelby, who was a sophomore.  My one warning is that if some of your girls don't have good chemistry with each other on a personal level, it's REALLY hard to convey the "sisterhood" between the characters.  My set was very simple and I was super fortunate that my high school has a cosmotology dept, so we borrowed the stylist chairs and bonnet dryers.  We used a cheap (but really good looking!) hair extension for Shelby's haircut on stage (that was some gasps from the audience!!) and had two stylists come in a few times to work with my Truvy and Annelle to actually be able to style the girls hair on stage.  If you have a diverse cast, bring in someone who can teach how to work with the specific hair-- my audience noticed and we actually got a nice note to admin about that particular aspect.  In terms of casting, I had a black M'Lynn and a caucasian Shelby--it worked super well and created a very cool micro-family within my thespians.  We did a show on Mother's Day-- it was GREAT!!!!

Kacy Bishop
    Director of Dramatic Arts
    North Paulding High School

• 7.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-26-2021 14:39
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, EVERYONE!!! This is all super helpful. I am at an all girls high school and have some really talented girls this year, so I think it would be a nice fit. Another question...Is the possibility there at all to add any ensemble of any type? Or is it just strictly a six woman show?

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 8.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-27-2021 09:33
    In my opinion, there isn't any opportunity for an ensemble on stage, and it would ruin the relationship of characters.  This is why I don't like the movie.  I had a costume team, but also had a wig team to care for wigs and pre-style them back stage as well as help change the wigs between scenes.  I had a very large running crew to reset props in between scenes, decorating for Christmas was the challenge as well as reorganizing and setting the hair stations.   I think I had a team of at least 20 (excluding the cast, lights, sound and front of house)

It's a wonderful show. One of my favorites.  Oh-and we weren't able to do running water on stage, but instead had them exit to the "back room" which was curtained off, and they yelled the lines from there.  Kind of like how people in there own home will yell from one room to another to family members.  It worked.  And we justified it that Truvy's husband had converted the garage for her, so the space wasn't perfect.  
    Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington Kilbourne High School

• 9.  RE: Steel Magnolias

Posted 07-27-2021 11:55
    Hi Sarah,
    GREAT CHOICE!!!  
    I've directed the show several times professionally, at the community level, and in schools.  I've done it with working plumbing and without (having the M'Lynn exit off-stage with Annelle and yelling lines from the wings can be VERY funny).

At various times, I tried to add an ensemble of neighbors, delivery people, etc., in order to include more students.  So far, it hasn't worked; too distracting and breaks up the rhythm of the show. I've always wound up cutting those roles and do the script as written.

Some other recommendations:
    - Whenever someone is in a chair and getting their hair done, the other characters need some business to do.  When not outlined in the stage directions, some other examples you can add are: making coffee, jotting down notes from the magazines, looking over the manicurist table, etc.

- Annelle, like the other 5 women, is essential to the story. Therefore, don't assume that because she does very little talking in the first act (until her short monologue about her marriage), that she doesn't matter.  If possible, put a very strong actor in that role.  Her quiet, focused listening can be as big an acting challenge as a multi-page monologue.

- These women are classy, not trashy.  Sure they may tease and use harsh language from time to time, but there is an elegant dignity that we see Annelle adopt by the end of the show.  

- Finally, in a couple of productions I had actual, fresh-baked pecan tassies served in that scene.  The aroma wafted through the entire theatre as the ladies ate them and it helped hook the audience in.

Break a leg!!!

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA