Open Forum

View Only

Assitance Needed

• 1.  Assitance Needed

Posted 01-29-2017 16:30
    Good Afternoon

I am new to this forum.  I have accepted a job as a long term sub for a middle school theater arts class.  My background is in history and I have very little experience in this area.  I was approached by the school staff about this position because they need someone in the class who can control and organize the students.  They have been without a permanent teacher since November and have subs changes often.  I want to be able to offer the students some stability in their class and accepting this position until it can be filled seemed like the best option. 

I am not one to pass up a challenge and this appears it will be a really tough one.  The school has virtually not curriculum for the class and the students have been coloring or doing other classes assignments during this time.  I want to change this.  I want to give the students a reason to come to class and something to look forward to.  I am not opposed to any suggestions.

Can anybody out there share some lesson plans, ideas, projects, layouts - Anything actually???  I am willing to accept any ideas y'all might have that will make this class something other than a study hall period.  My email is jeffreyfjohnson@yahoo.com

Thank you
    Jeff Johnson

------------------------------
    Jeff Johnson
    Garland TX

• 2.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-29-2017 17:46
    Hi Jeff,

I'm sure others will answer and assist with plans & ideas.

I'd just like to point out that you might also want to post/search on the Middle School forum. From the 'Community' tab on the blue ribbon above, click and then choose 'Browse Communities.' Once there, join the middle school theatre group and then choose the Discussion page there.

Michael McDonough
    TRW Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 3.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 07:45
    Having a history background will be a great asset to you in theatre! I have been a drama teacher for eleven years, but have been pulled to teach history several times and find that there are many similarities. One of the things I teach in my drama class is theatre history. I Show the students how theatre shaped the world and how major world events shaped theatre. We often read plays from certain time periods (Greek, Shakespere, modern, etc.) and then they do an activity with the play and/or time period. Sometimes they act out scenes or improv how things could have occurred or research a topic more in-depth and teach the class. Sometimes, we write plays or design costumes or learn the parts of a stage or perform monologues or duet scenes...  There's so much flexibility and creativity in a drama class. Don't stress it! As long as they're having fun and beginning to express themselves, they'll look forward to it!

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 4.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 07:52
    Two suggestions: Join the Drama Teachers Academy run by Theatrefolks.com (they have lesson plans and support) and check out the book "Real-World Theatre Education" which focuses on all the other stuff beyond lesson plans that steals your time and ups your stress. It's at Educational Stages
    Educational Stages remove preview
    Educational Stages
    More Theatre, Less Drama
    View this on Educational Stages >

Douglas Rome
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Fairfax County Public Schools
    Burke VA

• 5.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 08:24
    www.freedrama.net has lesson plans, activities, monologues and scenes. Also, if you feed into a high school with a theatre program, call that teacher and ask fro pointers...

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 6.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 08:26

Go to tedb.byu.edu/​ which is BYU's free database of units grouped by topic and by skill level.  I also like Theatrefolk's Drama Academy which has a full Drama 1 Curriculum and many units and lesson plans. This is a subscription service but I am sure your district would pay for it. 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    392-1543

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford

• 7.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 08:45

Theatre Games for Young Performers by Maria C. Novelly

I got this book my first year teaching middle school drama, and 15 years later I am still doing many of the lessons and activities. You can easily do a 6 week pantomime unit straight from the book. It also has units on voice and improvisation. There is probably enough in there to get you through the rest of the year. Then, if you get ambitious/inspired, you can cull the best scenes from your classes and put together a showcase for parents/guests. (Since all of the scenes will be the original work of the students, there are no royalties to worry about.) I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Good luck!

Jennifer Bennett

Drama Director

Markham Woods Middle School

6003 Markham Woods Road

Lake Mary, FL 32810

(407) 871-1750

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Virtually all written communications to or from School District Personnel are public records available to the public and media upon request. E-mail sent or received on the School District system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law.]

• 8.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 08:49
    Immediately order Schoolhouse Rock Jr.from MTI Jr.

Kids can work for most of the rest of the year in class and produce the show for the other grade levels.

You will be a rock star with the principal because even the most rowdy kids will be on task and having fun. . The rest of the teachers will love you because the kids will learn all sorts of good things and the MTI resources are so good a monkey could direct the show!! 

This will require a small outlay of funds by the school but an administration that has had a class in flux for so long would eagerly find 1000 to solve the issue and create good will with the faculty and parents.

Best of all you will have a lot of fun making it happen!!! 

Kids can wear t shirts and jeans to perform and all of the props and scenery is either non-existent or easily brainstormed and created by kids.

Best of luck!!

Nell Lynch

• 9.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 12:58
    Hello Jeff,

Since you are a history teacher you might look at the middle school curriculum for history and see what plays have been written about those time periods.  Or what is being read in their English and Literature classes.  To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, A Separate Peace, etc.
    Or tap into Musical Theatre with Hamilton.  Have your students do some research about the characters and time period and write some extra scenes or monologues based on their findings.
    Maybe create some devised theatre scenes that could be performed in class for a peer audience or for one of the history or English classes. 
    Hope this sparks some ideas.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 10.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 13:36
    Please check out: theatrefolk.com. There is a wealth of ideas & resources, including freebies. I actually had to leave my middle school theatre job in Maryland last year (due to a move to Hawaii) and had to plan for a long-term sub to finish out the school year. My sub said theatrefolk was a savior to supplement my plans. No more coloring! The kids just need consistency and to know that someone cares. Break a leg!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 11.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 01-30-2017 19:52
    This community likes to help those in need.  Name a topic/unit you'd like to do (pick anything) and you will get what you need.  Be specific, you will get help.  Do you want to do pantomime?  Monologues?  Improv?  Two-person scenes?  Ask and ye shall receive.  Pick your poison.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 12.  RE: Assitance Needed

Posted 03-03-2017 20:01
    Get a book called Drama Menu. It has lots of fun activities and you can get a full lesson from 2-3 of the activities

Rachel Sparks
    Ches Beach MD