Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Renovation inquiry

Posted 11-12-2019 06:52

I am researching theatre renovations, specifically spaces that were not originally a traditional theatre vs. new construction. For example, movie theatres, warehouses, gyms ..... What were the considerations? Pros/cons of completed project? Timeframe? Challenges? General advice? Thank you!

Peace and blessings,

t

Tamara Plasterer
    Director of Vocal Music & Theatre - Department Chair /Fine Arts
    Padua Franciscan High School
    P 440.845.2444 x145
    F 440.845.5710
    6740 State Road Parma, OH 44134

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 2.  RE: Renovation inquiry

Posted 11-13-2019 12:14
    Some thoughts:
    • Get some experts to consult (eg stage lighting sales people are happy to invest their time advising you). See if you can find others who have been through this process.
    • Remember support space, from wings to dressing rooms to construction area (w delivery access) to front of house needs (ticket booth, communication) to tons of storage space.
    • Be dead certain that how YOU will use the space is always top of (their) mind (eg we had control booth headset stations placed for adults...but impossible for our middle schoolers to reach without standing on a chair...NOT practical).
    • Acoustics count! What's the plan?
    • Ceiling height for lighting grid...can you get decent angles? Stage lighting is NOT room lighting (but you need work lights, too, of course)!!  The more dimmers the better :)

I'm sure you'll get plenty more great suggestions from others here.

------------------------------
    Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview
    ------------------------------