Open Forum

View Only

Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

• 1.  Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-13-2018 07:42
    So, I have been informed by a student in our play which opens this Friday that her mother will not allow her to wear a wig due to "scalp issues." This is a few weeks after she decided to break her contract and dye her hair a bright, neon yellow color. The wig was our compromise. Does anyone know of any non-dying hair color options? Are there any wash out sprays?

------------------------------
    Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 2.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-13-2018 08:28
    Good morning Robert,

I don't know about any new products available but there is an older product that's done wonders for folks in this situation.  It's called "Call Her Bluff".

If she's already breached a signed contract and still refuses to accept your compromise then replace her.  Worst case scenario, someone does the role with a script in hand--you explain in your curtain speech that due to unfortunate circumstances the actress originally cast in the role had to be replaced.

We high school theatre teachers shouldn't devalue our productions for the sake of one student's feelings or their right to self-expression because if this young woman were in a regional or even Off-Broadway production and did the same thing there would be no hesitation on the part of the directors/producers to give her the ultimatum of dye your hair back, wear a wig, or don't bother to show up.

It's become too commonplace in our particular content area for people to say "Well, it's just a high school show".  No, it certainly is not just a high school show.  This is the precursor to the rest of these young adults' lives and too many adults want to be friends with students and even their own children. Be a parent.  Be her teacher--she (and her mother) clearly need this lesson. 

Bottom line: If we don't maintain a high level of expectation at the high school level, then we are doing a disservice to every single student who participates in our productions.

So, call her bluff; it's available in every color imaginable, it's non-GMO, very user friendly, and best of all it's free.

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 3.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-13-2018 09:02
    Not an educator but a long time "theatre parent" and I could not agree with this more.

Kristie Hankins
    Floyds Knobs IN

• 4.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 10:23

Cudos to you A. W. Miller.  Well said. 

May all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 5.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 11:43
    I agree!!

All the best,

Carol Siegel
    Certified Career Coordinator/Special Ed.
    Certified Theatre Educator
    Executive Director of the Island Trees School to Business Partnership
    President of WECA Long Island Chapter
    Secretary of WECA New York State, www.nysweca.org
    Island Trees High School
    59 Straight Lane
    Levittown, NY 11756
    ph: 516-520-2136
    fax: 516-520-9188

• 6.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 19:34
    “informed by a student” that their parent says something, is not the same as the parent actually saying it. Meet with the parent. I doubt any “scalp issue” is exacerbated by a couple of hours in a wig. The student and the parent should have known that the color she chose would distract in the show ( I assume that is the case here). Once you have met with the parent and explained how it is detrimental to the show and won’t be allowed, if they still won’t budge, I agree, replace her. Hopefully the administration will back you up. Break a leg

• 7.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-13-2018 12:31
    This infuriates me! I echo what others have already said, except that you open this Friday. I might try to talk to the parent and reiterate that her child has broken their contract and it will affect the whole show. It is also suspect that a child with a "scalp condition" dyed their hair a neon color--That couldn't have been good. BUT...here are a few options:

https://www.manicpanic.com/dyehard-temporary-styling-gels. This one will give your actor a bit of a "helmet head," so it's best for updos and such.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VT144FG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?pd_rd_i=B00VT144FG&pd_rd_wg=bwuUS&pd_rd_r=WW485GGFDFR5FE3HM4MN&pd_rd_w=hQqF5&th=1. This spray is part of the new "fiber" sprays that offer a better coverage than most of the traditional theater sprays.

Hope this is helpful!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 8.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-13-2018 13:05
    I'm sorry if this sounds blunt, and I realize you're working in a high school, but here goes. I'm going strictly by what you said, since that's all I know.

By letting that student break the written contract, you sent a very clear message to that student, to the rest of the cast, to the crew, and to other kids in drama classes. And also to any other kids she may have spoken to about this. If you now go out of your way to "compromise" some more, you're going to be sending another very clear message. And you're going to be turning this into your problem, not hers.

I agree with the above: call her bluff. You are the show's director. When the parents complain to admin, show them that contract (assuming it says something about hair color). Then it's admin's time to send a clear message to the entire school: either they support you (and written contracts) or they don't.

And there's always that little inconvenience of setting a precedent. If you cave in, you're opening the door for other students to do the same in the future. 

If you need a slightly different perspective on this whole issue, have a word with the sports coaches, the band director, and similar people at your school and see what they would do.

I realized something very interesting a long time ago. When I'm in the one in a position to deal with a problem created by someone else, I have two choices. One, I can choose to address the problem and let the person who created it get upset. Or, two, I can choose to do nothing and let everyone who is affected by the problem get upset. I made my decision very quickly.

Afterthought: you may find someone screaming that she's a minor and therefore can't enter into a legal contract. Don't get suckered into this. That will just be a distraction from the real issue which is her hair color as a character in the show. And, again, you're the director. That's how it works. It's your call.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 9.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 06:07
    "It's just high school" is a refrain I've fought before and I don't know why I haven't fought it here. Perhaps I just needed to hear it from someone else. Thank you for your advice!

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 10.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 11:47
    On another note.  I call my contract a commitment form which gets you out of the "contract" argument. 

All the best,

Carol Siegel
    Certified Career Coordinator/Special Ed.
    Certified Theatre Educator
    Executive Director of the Island Trees School to Business Partnership
    President of WECA Long Island Chapter
    Secretary of WECA New York State, www.nysweca.org
    Island Trees High School
    59 Straight Lane
    Levittown, NY 11756
    ph: 516-520-2136
    fax: 516-520-9188

• 11.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 07:27
    I'm all for "it's just high school" but I'm a bigger advocate for "honors your commitments." I agree with the posts above.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 12.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 08:16
    I agree with the Call her Bluff option. But also call the mother and get her side of it. You may find her more open than the actress is letting on.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 13.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 08:44
    I agree with everyone, contracts mean something - once they don't there is no reason to even have them in the first place.

Also, scalp issues, that hair dye is the worst she could do to herself.  There is absolutely no spray or powder that could cover it up without having a more drastic effect than a wig.  If she has scalp issues caused by heat you can baby powder it up then do a light pin curl without capping then the wig which will cause the least amount of heat to affect her scalp.

Good luck, I've had a bright blue hair'd Cinderella show week, we had some fun conversations.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO

• 14.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 09:05
    Agreeing with the "call her bluff" crowd here, let me ask a question.

You have a production contract.  Do you require only the student to sign it, or is there a place for parents to sign, as well?  Mine has a space where parents sign a statement saying that they have read the contract, agree with its contents, and will help the student to live up to the terms of the contract.  If you don't currently do this, you might consider it for the future, as it gives you more leverage with the parents.

My favorite changing-your-appearance story:  Years ago, I auditioned a boy whose hairstyle seemed to have been inspired by Sideshow Bob on The Simpsons.  That actually worked comically for one character in the show, so I cast him in that part.  He showed up for the first read-through having had his hair buzzed to the scalp.  [~sigh~]  Since I don't give out my production contract until the first rehearsal, I now tell students at auditions that they should not significantly change their appearance prior to casting unless they discuss it with me first, as I may want them to appear in the show as they appear at auditions.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 15.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 09:39
    Here's my thoughts on the subject:

Call Her Bluff! "Skin condition" and she can't wear a wig? Where was the skin condition when she dyed her hair? And I'll bet the same "skin condition" will prevent her from using any covering technique.

"It's just high school theatre". I hate that!!!  And yes, it's just high school theatre where you learn some life lessons before life kicks your ass. It's the place to learn that your actions have consequences.

Talk to your administration, make sure they are backing you then tell the parents and the student and walk away. I would not engage them in an argument, just state the facts and the consequences. Don't let your anger control what you say. Although I'd be a hot mess!!!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 16.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 09:54
    You need to speak directly to the parent.
    If my child had "scalp issues" I wouldn't let her dye her hair.
    It really sounds like this kid is trying to play both ends against the middle so she can wear her fabulous new hair color in the show.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 17.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 10:52

Hello from a fellow PA teacher! (I'm in Lancaster County)

I don't have much new to contribute - but I do agree with the others who have suggested drawing a line in the sand.  I took a few quick moments to look at your HS website - and I see that your district has high expectations for the student dress code. I would hope that your administration would support you - and I suspect that since hair color isn't addressed in your district policy, that this is one area where the student is trying to take a stand, perhaps?

If you have a performance contract - I'd use that as the leverage you need.  Our audition form includes a question specifically about whether or not the student would be willing to cut or dye their hair... as well as wear a wig.  And it is signed by students and parents prior to their audition.

We had a similar situation a few years ago - a girl went platinum blonde, and cut her hair very short.  Fortunately for us, she was a nun in the ensemble of The Sound of Music, so we were able to cover it up easily.  I do believe that the director either removed her from the ballroom scene - or made her wear a wig for that scene.

Can you add some sort of hat - or fascinator - that would cover up her hair?  I know that with lighting, that presents another challenge... but if you don't have administrative support, or something in writing that can be used as leverage - you will need to find a way for it to be made presentable on the stage somehow.  (And if it is something that she doesn't like, perhaps she'd be more receptive to wearing a wig...)

Our district has supported us with "improvisations" that occur on stage as disciplinary situations.  Years ago, we had a senior who thought the scene would be "better" if he played it entirely differently than rehearsed... it threw off the others and completely derailed the scene.  Administration supported us by using the "insubordination" part of our discipline policy - and he was never cast in another show after that point.

Does this young lady also realize that this could affect her future casting in other productions?  
    I hope that it works out well...
    Missy

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 18.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 11:14
    I agree with everything everyone else says. Questions though... Did the parent sign the contract as well? That would deal with the possible "minor signing a contract issue". And what sort of "scalp issues" would prevent the use of a wig? I did have a student in the past who had a legitimate scalp issue and we used a bald cap in place of a wig cap to ensure there were no issues during performance. 

Personally, if she refuses, I'd pull her from the performance and also put her on probation for the next show. For me, if a student fails to follow through on all of their responsibilities in a show he or she is placed on probation for the following production. They will not be cast or allowed to participate in the main crew. They have to use the semester following to show a willingness to follow through on commitments. This includes keeping up with homework and, since most of the kids who participate are either in the club, my classes or both, I can follow through on their improvement in this area. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 19.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 12:30
    I don't have anything to add specifically to address the situation at hand, but encouragement to fight, even demand integrity.

This became an issue in the troupe last year that led to a split that still effects the troupe.  When introducing the plays for the year in September, I explicitly stated that only natural hair color and no facial piercings or visible tatoos would be allowed by the actors for the Winter production (we were scheduled to do one production per sports season).  Two actors immediately began to question and undermine the production, which intensified from then through the production run itself in March.

One of those students was a junior, who has continued her ill will toward the troupe this year.  Some students have even told me directly that this student would use emotional extortion to prevent them from auditioning, working backstage, or even attending productions.  Slowly, an entirely new group of students, mostly freshman and sophomores, has come to theatre and is building a strong foundation that is committed to excellent in the art.  The lead in our most recent production may have whined a bit about having to cut his hair in a particular way, but realized that integrity and excellence in the art always trumps personal appearance preferences.

Keep fighting the good fight.  If I may be so bold, you have the support of all of us.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 20.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 12:32
    I have to agree with everything that has been said here. I also, as a mother, have 2 children who HATE to wear wigs, but had to for the last two shows they were in (both directed by yours truly). My 11 year old was in "It's a Wonderful Life" as Young Mary, and it didn't occur to me that the blue streaks she had in her hair before I "cast" her (only 2 younger actresses came out for the show initially) weren't period. My oldest, who is a sophomore, had to wear a Marie Antoinette-style wig for "Into the Woods." They both HATED the idea of the wight. They hated the feeling of the wigs. They refused to put the wigs on for even one second longer than was required of them.

If I wasn't the director, they totally would have said that I wouldn't let them wear the wigs. And "scalp issues" can also be code for "I'm afraid she'll get lice." That can be nipped in the tiny little wiggly bud by making sure all wigs are sprayed after every use. Check with the mom to see if she actually said that. If she did, see if she'll be reasonable. If not, then I agree with using "call her bluff." It's amazing.

PS. Same daughter who was in "Into the Woods" dyed her very expensively already dyed blonde hair to black with a home dye kit the day before "Rent" auditions so she would be taken seriously for the role of Mimi and not be asked to wear a wig. 

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org

• 21.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 14:01
    I learned a long time ago not to believe everything a student says that starts, "My mother won't let me..."

BUT, I wouldn't call the parent.    

I would tell the student that the contract is the contract is the contract, and the only choice she has now is to wear the wig or be replaced in the show.

Either the contract means something, or it doesn't.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 22.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 14:51
    To update: Yes, the student, parent, and I sign the contract. I received an e-mail from the parent confirming that she wouldn't not allow a wig or other coloring and concerned that her daughter was being singled out because other members of previous shows were allowed to use alternate hair colors, despite them being cast with the hair color. I went to my admin this morning, showed him the contract, and he felt it was open and shut, as you all pointed out. I replied to the parent's email, had a discussion with the student, and informed them both that I would dismiss the student from the production because she "willfully disregarded" the contract. The student called the parent, the parent visited the principal, and the student will now wear a wig. I will e-mail to confirm that the wig does not pose a health concern and we can all continue on our merry way.

A huge thanks to all of your advice!

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 23.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-14-2018 15:05
    WOW, that was a wild ride from start to finish. Thanks for the update, Robert!

This situation definitely supports the case for student/parent contracts. I know teachers who won't require them because they think it'll cause a fuss, but I find that a thorough, well-defined contract often saves the day!

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 24.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-15-2018 09:03
    Whoever posted this:

One, I can choose to address the problem and let the person who created it get upset. Or, two, I can choose to do nothing and let everyone who is affected by the problem get upset.

Life-changing!

Thanks!

Tobin Strader
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair,
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School,
    Indianapolis, IN

• 25.  RE: Help! Neon yellow hair won't dye or wear wig

Posted 05-16-2018 08:52
    Yay!  congratulations on holding out and taking a stand.

Lisa Moody
    Brentwood TN