Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play/Musical

Posted 09-23-2020 09:21
    Last year, our musical director had to cancel the spring musical due to COVID. This year, he is supposed to have a fall musical (cancelled) and a madrigal dinner (cancelled).  

I have the spring play, but I am feeling for his students who may never get to participate in a show. I have proposed that we do a joint play/musical in the spring, but here are some questions from the "non-musical director." 

1) Can you think of a musical that also has several non-singing roles for my actors who do not sing? (I watch a lot of musicals but not from a director's standpoint, so I don't notice some of these things.)

2) Is there a musical that is meant for social distancing on stage, or that could be adapted to streaming if necessary so that he won't have to cancel again?

3) We will probably be interested in a minimal set/costumes in case things go south again. Last year the musical set was massive and it was very depressing for the director and technician to take down (and very demanding with no other help!) They also spent a bunch on costumes that did not get refunded. We don't want that to happen again.

4) I am sure there are things I don't know to ask, so any advice would be appreciated! 

Thanks,
    Lisa Ronca
    Huxley, IA 

• 2.  RE: Play/Musical

Posted 09-24-2020 06:22

Theatrical rights has Addams family and I think bright star that they abbreviated and also gave hints for social distancing throughout the script. 
    theres a few characters that don't sing- or don't need to be great singers. 

MTI has come up with remote options, but that's all I've seen as far as helping with our current circumstances so far. 

------------------------------
    Cori Bott
    Jackson NJ
    ------------------------------