Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 01-26-2016 16:52

We are currently in pre-production for Les Mis Student Ed. Yet we are having trouble organizing a complete orchestra ensemble. While the music teachers are working on that, I am looking at alternatives.
    Does anyone know of a good backing track or accompaniment CD for Les Mis?
    Please forward any ideas or suggestions that you may have.
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    MATTHEW PAYNE
    Drama Teacher, Grades 9-12
    Glendale CA

• 2.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 01-26-2016 19:25

OrchEXTRA®

Mtishows remove preview
    OrchEXTRA®
    Many organizations interested in producing a musical don't have enough musicians to make up an orchestra. OrchExtra® is a sound enhancement system run right from your laptop that assists you by providing the missing instruments on digitized tracks.
    View this on Mtishows >
    Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 01-27-2016 09:51

We used the OrchEXTRA when we did it for our summer production. It is really well done, but it takes a certain skill level to run it. Our music director ran it for the show.

THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED AND RESTRICTED FOR USE BY THE ABOVE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. IN THE EVENT SOME OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY RECEIVES THIS TRANSMISSION, SAID RECIPIENT IS HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR DUPLICATION OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ITS CONTENTS IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY AT 309.827.6031, DELETE THE FILE FROM YOUR SYSTEM, AND DESTROY ANY HARD COPIES OF THIS TRANSMISSION. THANK YOU.

Bloomington Public Schools School District87
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 4.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 01-27-2016 07:39
    The MTPIT is amazing and works well for shows such as this.

--
    Jill Welsheimer
    Director of Instrumental Music and Theatre Arts
    Perryville High School
    410-996-6000

• 5.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 01-27-2016 09:54

Stage Stars Records

Stage-stars remove preview
    Stage Stars Records
    Stage Stars Records Official Website: Broadway Accompaniment and Karaoke CD's. Each of our albums is fully-orchestrated and recorded in the original show key and show tempo. Albums are great for rehearsals, auditions and events. Our catalog features popular school musicals and recent Broadway hits.
    View this on Stage-stars >

We, too, are in auditions/rehearsals for Les Miz School Ed.  I found some accompaniment tracks to use for rehearsals.  It the karaoke CD's.  There are 4 cd's total.  Stage Stars Records.  Found them on Amazon.  There were around $46.  Good luck!!

Stage-stars remove preview
    Stage Stars Records
    Stage Stars Records Official Website: Broadway Accompaniment and Karaoke CD's. Each of our albums is fully-orchestrated and recorded in the original show key and show tempo. Albums are great for rehearsals, auditions and events. Our catalog features popular school musicals and recent Broadway hits.
    View this on Stage-stars >
    Michael Hancey
    Musical Theatre Teacher/Theatre Guild Sponsor
    Laramie WY

• 6.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 01-27-2016 10:49

I did Les Mis this year and used MT Pit. I was pleased with it. No matter what you use, its going to require musical knowledge to figure out since Les Mis is so complicated. Students rehearsed with it from day one.

Bryan Sullivan
    Theatre Director
    Silverdale WA

• 7.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 02-26-2016 12:07

They quoted us $800, is this a one time fee? Or is it per performance?

MATTHEW PAYNE
    Drama Teacher, Grades 9-12
    Glendale CA

• 8.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 03-03-2016 11:18

They quoted us $800, is this a one time fee? Or is it per performance?

That's a question for your representative from MTI -- whoever gave you the quote.  I believe their extras such as OrchExtra and RehearScore are one-time fees (I know the latter is, but I've never ordered the former), but I'd confirm it with the company itself.

Russell Paulette
    Rappahannock County Public Schools
    Washington VA

• 9.  RE: Les Mis Student Ed. Backing Tracks?

Posted 01-27-2016 10:59

Right On Cue Services (rightoncueservices.com) also has backing tracks for over 100 shows, recorded by top live musicians. The tracks come with free software that lets you edit and change tempos, keys, vamps, cuts, etc. "ROCS" also provides all the official endorsed tracks for Theatrical Rights Worldwide, Samuel French, and others. 

Dave McDougal