Open Forum

View Only

Parent request of censorship

• 1.  Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-14-2017 14:47
    I'm currently 2 weeks away from opening "Over the River and Through the Woods". One of my actors, the girl playing Caitlin, texted me last night in a panic because her mother is threatening to pull her out of my show. Why? Because Caitlin calls Nick an "asshole". When I casted her, I asked is she was okay saying this (she doesn't cuss off stage) and she said she was fine. Now, Mom is requesting I either get rid of the line or she'll pull her daughter. I have an understudy, but I casted this girl for a reason! At rehearsal, I tried replacing the word with "jerk" and it just seemed... juvenile. I tried "jackass" (which I personally think is less crude than asshole), and it wasn't as bad, but Mom still refuses. I NEED something there that stings Nick. I need to it mean something.

I don't know what to do. ): Do I let the mother censor my show? Do I stand my ground and lose my perfect actor 2 weeks before opening? Or do I TELL her I changed it and then have her say it anyway?

In the words of the great Max Bialystock, "HEEEEELP MEEEEE."

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-14-2017 16:46
    While I wouldn't recommend censorship, you seem to be in quite a bind. Maybe call their bluff and threaten to use the understudy? If it came down to it, maybe "bastard" would work?

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-14-2017 17:43
    Calling the bluff could be an option, but then that could backfire, especially if there's no plan b. 

Reason? As in, reason with the parent: can't change the authors words (copyright, integrity, etc.), daughter said you'd be ok with it, blah blah,?

Could she mumble/slur the word? Or maybe someone flies in with a foghorn right at the point she says the word? Like that trick in the film version of 'Oliver' where the Artful Dodger lets out a stream of curses as a train roars past, drowning him out. Would be funny, but of course might not have the same impact as the audience hearing the word itself. However, it could draw attention to the ludicrousness of the drama surrounding this word (which, like it or not, may supersede whatever else is going on now) by making a huge foghorn bearing sound over it. The actor playing Nick can show how hurt he is, and you get to keep your performer in place, she gets to yell 'asshole' and mom (and nobody else for that matter) will actually hear it over the foghorn. 

It's a wild, and potentially silly solution, but it's one that might just work!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-15-2017 03:29
    Call the mother & talk to her PERSONALLY. Remember, as an educator, you need to build relationships with the parents as well as the students.

I would suggest using the word "Ass." Shakespeare uses it several times, but most notably in "A Midsummer Nights Dream."  

Explain to the Mother the situation, offer a different word, and assure her that you want her daughter to feel comfortable, and you respect her family's values and thought it wasn't a problem based on your conversation with the student. You will gain a lot of ground when the parent understands you are on her side and take steps to put her daughter's comfort level first. 

Make friends, not enemies, of your parents & you will have a long & healthy career. Remember to pick your battles. Ask yourself if that one word, in that one play, is worth the stress & aggregation it could cost & you will have the answer you need for your decision.

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 5.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-15-2017 06:46
    Frankly, I have to concur with the suggestion that you make friends not enemies. Parents have a right to determine what is ok for their children. While it is frustrating that it seemed ok and now it is not, your best bet it to call the parent and compromise. Maybe your actor could imply the word while growling instead as if she is so angry she just can't speak. 

I had an actor once whose parent refused to allow stage makeup. While it slightly diminished the look of the show, the parent and student were big supporters me for ever more. We bill theatre as being the one place where everyone is accepted for so they are, if that is true it has to apply to people who adhere to the social/ religious Norms in society as well as the people who don't.

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 6.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-15-2017 21:32
    Obviously you knew it was a potential problem going in, or you wouldn't have asked the student. Students are always more comfortable/willing to use swear words, be they mild or harsh. In my school, if I were to replace the student over this, they would go to the principal saying that I was denying their child an opportunity over a single word. I am fairly certain that the decision would go the parent's way. I agree about talking directly to the parent to try to find a compromise. If there is one parent that vocally objects to that word, there are many more that could be lurking in the audience. I know it is hard to compromise and the issues with rights, and that asshole is not that gross of a swear word. But choose your battles, see if ass will work, or as someone else recommends cut the sentence off and leave it implied. I checked with parents of Fester in Addams Family before I would allow him to say "sumbitch", and I still got a couple of veiled comments from administration.
    I was sensitive to language when I taught college, sometimes writing to publishers for permission to change words, sometimes keeping the language and putting disclaimers on ads and programs. High school students are minors, so their parents get to make those decisions, even though the students use those words in everyday conversation.
    My 2 cents is to save the censorship argument for issues that are more important than a single word.
    Break a leg

[Ron] [Gingerich]
    [Drama Teacher]
    [Phoenix] [AZ]

• 7.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-16-2017 11:17

Heather, that's an unfortunate and annoying situation when you thought everything was OK, and that you had done your due diligence, only to run into a problem at the last minute. A few thoughts:

1. Since you need to check with DPS, the publisher, to get permission for the change anyway, you might ask them--since I doubt this is the first time it's come up with a school production--if they have a suggested update for that moment. I don't know the play and therefore it's hard to suggest a word that is in keeping with what "asshole" is supposed to do at that moment, and maybe things like "loser" or "waste of life" or "creep" or "scumbag" neither fit nor zing enough, and maybe "a-hole" isn't far enough away from the original to pass parental muster.

2. To avoid last-minute surprises like this in the future, do you have any kind of contract that your students and their parents sign? For example, if there is language or something more mature, can they agree that they understand this and are OK with it before auditions?

3. I agree that it's not worth waging a war over, nor going with the understudy over a single word, even if you are in the right. It's better to have the parents on your side.

Hope you're able to sort something out one way or the other, and happy PassEaster!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-17-2017 09:41
    Hello everyone,

thank you for your responses and advice. After a rather frustrating discussion with the parent, it seems that my only option is to change to word, or else she will pull her daughter from my show. The only acceptable word she has given me is "jerk", (I sent her a well researched list of substitutes, and she chooses a word not on my list, go figure.) Even after I discussed the legalities of changing what the playwright has intentionally put in, she still would not budge. I offered most of the suggestions you all gave, but it seems I'm still on the losing side.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to contact Dramatists and request permission on such short notice? I want to make sure I do this right.

"I'm not bitter." I said bitterly with a bitter expression on my face. Oy vey.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 9.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-17-2017 15:35

Heather, I'm sorry to hear that the parent is being so unreasonable. They probably need the request in writing, but my suggestion would be to do that and let them know that because time is so short, you'll also be calling--and then call them. Depending on their past interactions with the playwright, they may have carte blanche to approve certain changes (i.e. there may be a standing instruction), or they may need to reach out to the playwright.

I don't know Joe DiPietro personally, but we do have something like 65 mutual friends, so if DPS can't help, let me know and I can try reaching out to him through one of them. My guess is he probably won't care, but maybe he'll have a better suggestion.

As I said previously, I think the best thing to do going forward is to figure out how to preempt a problem like this (i.e. some sort of written contract people sign prior to auditioning), so that you aren't in this stressful position again. Break a leg!

Best,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 10.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-18-2017 03:20
    Sorry for the ridiculous drama you are forced to deal with. We are currently living in the age of the bully. Wait until this parent faces a real problem. In the meantime, if you haven't seen it yet, check out this article from the New York Post. It might make you feel better. Best, GT

http://nypost.com/2016/04/04/parents-who-censor-high-school-theater-are-morons/http://nypost.com/2016/04/04/parents-who-censor-high-school-theater-are-morons/

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 11.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-18-2017 09:43
    Jonathan, I REALLY appreciate your offer! Luckily, they responded to my e-mail within 3 hours and gave me the green light to use "jerk".

Garry, that article is LITERALLY me. Same "religious reasons" and all. If I print this and post it in my room, would that be too petty? (:

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 12.  RE: Parent request of censorship

Posted 04-19-2017 14:34
    Heather,

If the mother is offended now, there will be a lot more mothers offend when they see the show.  In my district, that would be a blazing no, no.  It's base profanity.  It probably fits the situation in the world of the play, but is it right for the high school stage, probably not.  

Call him a monster.  Call him a son of a three headed monkey.  Call him a beast, a pig, a louse.  Get away from traditional profanity and find something else.  It will work.  Be creative the right word will come to you and yours.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX