Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Another point question

Posted 09-08-2018 14:14
    I've found multiple answers to this in previous threads, but not enough to help me develop policy.

Last year in "It's a Wonderful Life," I had numerous middle school students portraying the Bailey kids and the younger versions of George, Mary, Violet, Sam and Harry. The middle school does NOT have a Jr. Thespian Troupe, as the shows are produced by an outside source and there is no middle school drama director. There is a teacher who teaches drama as a "wheel" elective (6 weeks at a time), but she is not involved in performances enough to take on the task of a troupe.

Can those middle schoolers still earn points that will count when they get to my school for high school? I have 3 more participating in "Bye Bye Birdie" this year as Randolph. They would end up with no more than 5 points before entering our program, based on the size of the parts they have played. I also had two who were 5th graders last year and are now at the middle school (both are in Birdie this year). Do we say that they must have been at least a middle schooler?

It also seems like there are many different policies about outside productions. There are two extremely active Children's Theatre companies in our area that about a dozen of my kids participate in (both "pay for play" companies). In many cases, the student has chosen the Children's theatre program show rather than participate in our show during that time period. I also have one student performing in the "Marquee" show of that company, which is considered their professional show and comes with a stipend. 

The 10 hours per point guideline is somewhat feasible because I can likely get ahold of the rehearsal calendars for each of the shows in which they participated since our troupe was formed in 2016. 

I like the idea of taking the point equivalent of what they earned there and dividing it in half. It would encourage kids to choose our show over theirs when all things are equal. However, there are some times when I just can't blame them for choosing the other one (one of the companies is doing "Chicago" this year, which will attract a great number of my kids and pull them from our recently rescheduled one-acts. 

We are redoing our troupe constitution this year and I want to put policies in place that are fair but also celebrate all of the opportunities for performance that are available to our kids. 

------------------------------
    Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 2.  RE: Another point question

Posted 09-11-2018 22:50
    We offer half points for anything outside of our program.  We voted to increase induction points to 20 because we do so much!!!  I use younger students.  We make a big deal starting their points cards.  This is a big part of our feeder program.  At curtain call, Castaneda crew state name, character, grade, and how many high school productions they've done.  It is really cool and yes loads of applause when a freshman announces he/she has already been in six productions!!

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Jay County High School
    Portland, Indiana
    cgebert@jayschools.k12.in.us
    419-910-1287
    Thespian Troupe #574

• 3.  RE: Another point question

Posted 09-18-2018 11:09
    The point system is a recommendation. You can use it as is, or make adjustments based on the needs of your program. If you feel it is beneficial for those students to earn points, go for it. I would recommend making a policy and sticking to it, but that policy is up to you.

Scott Wilson
    Fine Arts Consultant
    Ohio Department of Education
    Columbus OH