Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Catholic Middle School Theater Teacher??

Posted 10-19-2016 19:34

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any other Catholic Middle School theater teachers out there?  And if so, is your theater program part of the curriculum during the school day or is it an after school activity?  If it is part of the curriculum, how does your school organize the schedule to include theater?  Is it an elective?  What grades do you teach and how often during the week?  I'm currently freelancing and would love to propose to the school where I work to include it in the curriculum, but I know budget and scheduling are two big factors.  I'd appreciate any feedback.  Thanks.  Fyi, this is an Archdiocan run school.

------------------------------
    Adele Russell

• 2.  RE: Catholic Middle School Theater Teacher??

Posted 10-20-2016 08:38

I teach in a Catholic middle (and high) school that's independent of the diocese. Our schedule is a bit challenging since we run our MS in single-gender classes - I'll explain it as best as I can and please feel free to let me know if you have any questions...

There is one period set aside during the day for "Related Arts" and these switch a bit based on the semester and the year - 6th (Art, PE, Music), 7th (Theatre, PE, Music), and 8th (PE, Music, choose Art or Theatre). During the week, every student is at one of these classes two days a week with the Music classes running for a full year. For example - a 6th grader, in one semester, would have two days of Music and two of Art; the next semester they would have two days of Music and two days of PE, etc.

From a teacher's perspective, I have my 7th and 8th grade boys M & W and the girls T & Fr (based on the way our bell schedule is). For 7th grade, the focus is an introduction to performance work. If they choose Theatre in 8th grade, they are automatically cast in the 8th grade play. We do blocking rehearsals (single-gendered) through the fall semester to prep a show during Catholic Schools Week (end Jan/early Feb). In January, we have after school rehearsals to rehearse the boys and girls together, three full dress rehearsals (with my HS production students running backstage), and the performance. 

Hope this helps!

Teresa McGrath
    Theatre Director and Fine Arts Department Chair
    SJCS - Greenville SC

• 3.  RE: Catholic Middle School Theater Teacher??

Posted 10-21-2016 09:40

Thank you to those who have responded to my post.  I appreciate hearing your situations and stories.  Every example just gives me another way to present to our Principal.

Currently, I work with another woman who is completely volunteer (and her help is invaluable!) and, as I am also, a mother of children at the school.  She is my producer and technical teacher.  She handles all the administrative and tech. stuff.  I teach acting twice a week and direct the annual musical and also am a "Jack of all Trades" designing and making costumes, designing sets, teaching the music, etc.  The middle school kids had to audition to get into our theater company.  They are 6th to 8th grade.  We also have an elementary drama group (3rd to 5th) which is first come first served (no audition required) which meets once a week for almost the entire year.  We call ourselves a "theater company" and our goal is to teach these kids from an early age all aspects of theater.  We also use kids for all of our technical duties (assistant to the director, stage manager, light board operator, sound operator, crew and they build and make all the sets and props).  Of course, they are supervised and we get parental help for many other aspects, but we really let the kids run the show in the end.  I just sit back, take notes and get nervous!  :)

We hire a pianist to help with music and accompany, because our music teacher does not get involved.  This year we are casting really early (today in fact!) because we want to have a leisurely rehearsal period.  So, I will continue drama sessions through December and slowly build up to full-blown rehearsals in January after Christmas break.  I took this job 3 years ago and I do get paid a stipend, but as you all know, theater doesn't pay much!  :)  I do it because I love it, but it would be nice to get a bit more steady work.  That is why I was curious if there were any other teachers out there who do what I do in a Catholic school, but actually have it in the curriculum.

We have built this theater company up and it is a big success and a huge draw.  Last year, we had over 100 children involved.  Our Principal has already told us that it's not going to happen that they will make theater an elective, so I don't have much hope in that.  She's very supportive of the program, but strictly as an after school one.  But, we can keep trying to persuade her and it is good to have examples of how other school incorporate theater!  If this were a Catholic high school, it wouldn't be an issue because they incorporate theater into their curriculum.

Adele Russell
    Theater Teacher & Director
    Baltimore, Maryland

• 4.  RE: Catholic Middle School Theater Teacher??

Posted 10-20-2016 12:22
    Hi,

I recently retired after 40 years of teaching/coaching/directing etc. in Catholic schools.

Here is my experience:

In 1994 a colleague and I officially launched our middle school program; it was all volunteer and all after school. We did a night of one acts.

From there we did full scale Broadway type musicals:

You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown
                    Oklahoma!
                    Annie
                    Oliver!
                    The Wizard of Oz
                    Cinderella (R & H)
                    The Sound of Music
                    Bye, Bye, Birdie
                    Children of Eden
                    Disney's Beauty and the Beast
                    Peter Pan (with full scale flying by ZFX)
                    The Music Man
                    Cats
                    Willy Wonka
                    Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
                    The Secret Garden
                    Seussical
                    Disney's My Son, Pinocchio, Geppetto's Musical Tale
                    A Little Princess
                    Disney's The Little Mermaid

These were all full length as we were never interested in "junior" versions.
    Along the way we did squeeze in one straight play: The Miracle Worker

We also did a student variety show once a year (in January) as a fund raiser for our middle school musical (usually done in May). We included special guests (barber shop quartets, bag pipers, dancers, singers, Gospel artists, concert pianists, etc.) to make it more of an event and to increase the gate.

We did not receive any budget as we were totally self-supporting. Our revenue came from ticket sales ($10.00), program ad purchases (rates ranging from $25.00 to $100.00), and the occasional donation. 

We made money on every show!

We used student choreographers more often than not since many of our performers were members at local dance studios and were quite good at it.

Our productions were well received and written up in local media.

I was a full time teacher: 7th and 9th grade English and religion mainly. I also coached sports from time to time.

In 2007 I was asked to take over the drama program at the local Catholic high school. So, for almost a decade I was responsible for four to five productions per year, including a h.s. play festival.

Included in the h.s. duties was teaching one drama class. I was allowed to use this class mainly as a production class. This meant that those in the class could work on sets, props, costumes, etc. for all of the middle and high school productions. The class was usually last hour, which would lead in to our after school rehearsals at 3:00 p.m.

We did all of this mainly on the following: faith in God, a lot of prayer, a strong belief in your student performers, which was communicated frequently and firmly, great parental support, high expectations, and surrounding yourself with talented people and allowing them to do their job.

It's a lot of work. I never got paid for it, but the excited look on the faces of students and performers after close made it worthwhile.

Don't let money stop you from doing what others say is impossible. To quote Uncle Walt: It's kind of fun to do the impossible! Charge admission and use program ads.

Build relationships with media, staff, administration, a.d., etc. Don't burn any bridges. Don't back off from your vision. Use as many student ideas as possible (They were usually better than mine; plus, they will own the show.) Use every scrap of advocacy if you need to show why the performing arts are critical.

God love you for wanting to help Catholic school kids have a true theatrical experience since many national programs leave us out!

Best of luck! Break a leg!

• 5.  RE: Catholic Middle School Theater Teacher??

Posted 10-21-2016 15:13

Hi Adele,

I am teaching at an all-girls' private catholic MS in Bellevue, WA.  We are an Archdiocese of Seattle School!

I currently teach 2 classes during the academic day.  I teach a 6th grade drama class as well as a 7th grade class.  Each class meets three days a week for 40 minutes.  Drama is one of the fine arts classes that the girls are able to sign up for as an elective.  The other choices they have are studio art, graphic design, ceramics, video production, and coding.

I also have an after-school program where I direct a play in the Fall and the a musical in the Spring.  All of this is considered a part of my FTE.  I am about 3.5 days a week - which is about .70FTE.

I stipend out the help that I need - costumer, choreographer, etc.  The rate varies between position.

Please feel free to contact me directly! :)

-Ginny

Ginny Schreiber
    Forest Ridge School
    Bellevue, WA