Open Forum

View Only

Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

• 1.  Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-01-2015 10:44

Help!

I am a first year theatre teacher and I feel like I'm drowning. We are currently trying to mount a production of Arsenic and Old Lace and are gearing up to build the set only I have no idea how to even build a set. It's been ages since I took stagecraft in college and I feel terribly lost. We have no wood shop teacher on campus (he retired last year and they didn't hire a new one) and I don't think I have a lot of support from the students' parents. Where do I get the wood? What tools do I need? Can someone push me in the right direction?

------------------------------
    Amanda Herrera
    Theatre Teacher
    Don Antonio Lugo HS

• 2.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-01-2015 11:24

You might start here:

Theater Set Designs from ScenoGraphics

Scenographics remove preview
    Theater Set Designs from ScenoGraphics
    At ScenoGraphics, we specialize in providing directors and theater groups with resources to build their own sets from scratch. Our core product, Design-Pak©, consists of easy-to-follow blueprints, color renderings and illustrated detailed instructions for building sets for plays and musicals. Schools and community theaters at home and abroad rely on Design-Paks to save time, work, and money.
    View this on Scenographics >

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-01-2015 15:50

Are you near a Lowe's or Home Depot? Of course, it depends on the store, but their staff can be amazing and they carry all the supplies. I have wandered into Lowe's so many times with weird theatre things I needed to create but had no idea where to start. They have always jumped at the opportunity to help. 

Before you go:

-Come up with a simple set design. Even if that just means searching for "Arsenic and Old Lace set designs" on Google, bringing a photo or sketch of exactly what you would like to build will help them help you.

-Measure! Make sure you know what size space you have to build in.

-Budget. Plan ahead and know what you are able to spend on supplies.

(Don't forget to ask about the possibility of a donation while you are there!)

OR:

Contact your local community theatres, they are run by volunteers who love theatre and their community. Most would probably be thrilled to help out, especially if you returned the favor and got a group of students together to help with one of their set builds!

Good luck, you can do this!!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 4.  RE:Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-01-2015 22:38
    That's funny because the title of the class I'm teaching tomorrow is 'help! I'm a New Theatre Teacher and I'm Drowning!' Wish you were here at the EDTA conference...!

Ginny's right on the money though. The best set building and painting advice I've gotten over than from theatre professionals has been at my local Home Depot; be willing to talk to them about what you're attempting because they are super helpful, and some of them really have a pAssion for it. I have a couple of folks I go to specifically because they used to assist in their (now grown) children's productions.

Also, consider breathing. Can you simplify? Does it absolutely have to be built? Can you do something lower stress? Can you suggest what you need without building something you're not feeling confident about? Scale it back.

Also, have you checked with your students? I found three students last year after asking around whose parents worked construction and took their kids with them and basically trained them in skilled construction techniques. They'd love the opportunity to take this stress off your hands, and it really empowers them. Doesn't need to be perfect, because if they built it themselves, then it's perfect.

Take a deep breath, grab onto the life preserver, don't panic. It's a steep learning curve. It will get easier. 😀

---------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL
    ---------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-02-2015 06:13

I agree that the community theatre might be a huge help.  Those people are used to building stage sets. Home Depot and Lowe's are awesome, but sometimes building a set doesn't require the kind of heavy duty construction that traditional "construction" people are used to. The stairs for Teddy obviously have to be sturdy, as does the window seat for the bodies and for Mortimer to sit on, but could the walls and windows be suggestions? A window frame with curtains? You may be surprised that some of your parents might have set construction experience as well. You also might be surprised at what will come back to you from your college stagecraft classes.  I built my first set as a theatre teacher 20 years my last theatre production (and never had a stagecraft class).

Kristie Bach
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    Traverse City MI

• 6.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-02-2015 11:04

A lot of good advice has been given so far--

I would echo several things-- 1) come up with a design, have your students do it, too.  2) simplify when possible-- can you have just the stairs and doors as a set and rely on your theater black masking as a backdrop?  3) ask for advice (does someone live or work nearby who is involved in tech theater somehow)  maybe they can help.  4) look at this play as an opportunity to accumulate some stock scenery materials-- stairs, platforms, flats, etc

I would also purchase Bill Rauol's book, Stock Scenery Construction-- the items in there can be very helpful over the long run.

We have some pictures of our set online at Trinity High School Theater

Flickr - Photo Sharing! remove preview
    Trinity High School Theater
    Explore Trinity High School Theater's 1,447 photos on Flickr!
    View this on Flickr - Photo Sharing! >

Hope that helps

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 7.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-02-2015 16:03

Hi Amanda,

I'm only 25 minutes from you and would be happy to be a resource. We have four sections of technical theatre and we can build some items, lend you flats, staircases, or other stock pieces if you would transport.

Wish you were with us at the national conference in Florida-we have vendors here with how to set design books and how to videos which would be great resources. Check out the EdTA website for a list of attending vendors-and put this conference on your schedule for next year. 

Let me know how I can help you-the8turwoman@aol.com.

Krista Carson Elhai
    California
    Claremont CA

• 8.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-03-2015 08:12

Hi! I had a similar problem when I started except I knew how to design and build but my school had no tools and they wouldn't let me buy them. Essentially I was told I wasn't allowed to build anything without engineered drawings and following building code. One solution I found which helped immensely was that in Texas (which I knew nothing about) every school has a standard UIL unit set or standard set of thirty or so set pieces that can 
    be reused over and over again. You can acquire plans to build these yourself or you can buy a set ready made. I got mine from Palco Specialties and they were super kind, let me create a payment plan, and the owners delivered the set themselves to VA. It has been an invaluable purchase that helped me have sets until my school warned to the idea of us building more things on our own. 

Break a leg! 
    Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 9.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-04-2015 10:26

Hi Amanda,

Another option is to rent backdrops. For example the images below are rent-able from Charles H Stewart and may work for Arsenic and Old Lace. You would need to build a door(s) unit, stairs and a window w/window seat unit to accommodate the blocking needs, but you would get a finished product with less construction. 

When selecting a show, I will sometimes peruse backdrop companies to get ideas for a show to rent or just to get some style ideas for a set I intend to build. I really like working with Grosh Backdrops as well. It looks like you have gotten some great ideas and offers for help with Arsenic, so you might just file the backdrop info for future show :)

Good Luck!

Jeannie

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 10.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-05-2015 08:22

Yikes, you chose a set with a staircase!  Is there any chance you have a college nearby?  I have brought college students over to assist in construction for a small donation.  Also Home Depot/Lowes or the like sell pre-cut stringers for your stairs.  Make the design a research project for your students.  It is amazing what images they will find on the internet, and then they will have a sense of ownership.  Being that you are creating a period home I highly recommend using foam for crown molding, so easy to use and looks authentic.  We purchase it from a store called Foam Factory (if you would like to go online to see what I am referring to I'm sure there is something near you).  

Kendra Knoblock
    Rome0 MI

• 11.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-05-2015 13:39

Onthe e of the best step by step instructions I have found are the Bob and Marti Fowler Technical Theater Videos.  Video 2 of the series is a 2 hour video on shop safety and basic Flat construction, platform construction, and stair units.  The video gives the beginner basic instructions, because they are meant for the high school stagecraft 1 class.

I believe that you can buy the videos individually from their website as well as the entire set.  They are not inexpensive, but the set construction, lighting design, and set design videos are well worth investing in.

Building for stage is a lot different than building for an actual house, and there are a lot of shortcuts that can be taken, but will look just fine from the stage.  I do recommend building Hard cover flats, because they won't flap in the breeze when you close a door.

Best of luck!

Floyd Nash
    Pompano Beach FL

• 12.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-07-2015 20:27

Floyd wrote: "...Building for stage is a lot different than building for an actual house, and there are a lot of shortcuts that can be taken..."

Contrary to popular belief, there is NOT any "theatre exemption" in the building codes.  This is a myth that should not be repeated.

• Platforms and stairs must meet structural strength standards so they do not sag and wiggle.
    • Guard railings must be used on platforms an stairs, and they should be at least 42" tall, preferably 48" tall, and have one or more mid-rails so as to not pass a sphere any larger than 21" (the 4" sphere rule like used in public building railings is for a different application involving keeping small children from falling through railings), and where there is a possibility that anyone or any loose objects that could slip under the lower mid-rail and fall, then there must be a 4" tall toe-board (kick-plate).  Where a stair or elevated platform has a flat on one or more sides, then the flat must be constructed to provide the equivalent fall protection as a guard railing - you can't expect a piece of painted muslin cloth to prevent a fall.
    • Hand railings and guard railings serve two different purposes.  Hand railings must be no larger than 2 1/4" diameter, preferably 1 1/2" diameter so that persons can grasp them securely (particularly if children with small hands must grasp them).  2x4's are too big to be hand railings.  Hand railings should be mounted between 34-38" above the floor, and a second railing as low as 27" above the floor may be necessary if there are children to be using the stairs. (Ref: 2010 ADA, section 505 - yes, the ADA applies to theatre sets, too.)
    • Hand rails and guard rails must be able to support forces of 250 pounds in any direction (and more, if you know multiple people may be leaning-on or impacting them).

Also, there are specific requirements that restrict you from placing set pieces in the path of the Fire Curtain (if you have one), and requirements to construct all set pieces, props, and costuming from non-combustible materials or have them treated with fire retardant.

Electrically, ALL of the National Electric Code (NFPA 70) applies, and within it there are even more stringent requirements for some electrical devices when used onstage or as part of a show.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 13.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-07-2015 19:54

Kendra wrote: "... I highly recommend using foam for crown molding..."

Be aware that foam and foamed plastics used on stage must be treated with fire retardant per NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, Chapter 13, Article 13.4.6.11 (www.nfpa.org). 

When foam materials burn they can produce thick black toxic smoke that can incapacitate people in seconds, so minimizing the use of foam materials and encapsulating what you do use in a fire retardant coating is very important.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 14.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-06-2015 13:03

1. We did Arsenic and Old Lace in the winter on our lecture hall stage (we have a huge performing arts center, but I wanted to give them a different venue experience). You only need a few stairs visible - the actors sell the stairs as they run up and behind a wall.

2. I've looked on community Facebook groups for materials that people are willing to donate - everything from props to sewing machines and materials. You might even find some local volunteers who are willing to help you out with building.

3. Check with your business office and financial people about what relationships/accounts they have with local hardware stores. We've worked with Ace Hardware a lot around here, and they are wonderful.

4. Check around with your fellow teachers and your students. My first year, before I had anything (and the theatre wasn't even built yet!), I discovered that one of my students was an undercover carpenter. He was amazing and helped out with his own tools.

5. Breathe. We've all been there. The more you can give your students responsibility, guidance, and a chance to figure it out with you, the better.

Hope this helps!

Cynthia Calhoun
    Teacher
    Maricopa AZ

• 15.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-07-2015 00:58

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful suggestions!  I am starting to get creative with ideas for this play.  When I acted in this play in high school our woodshop teacher at the time built the set for us.  I'm reaching out and I may have a theatre friend from college who may be able to help build the set--I think I will be doing it more minimalist than I originally envisioned, but that's okay!  

Amanda Herrera
    Theatre Teacher
    Chino, CA

• 16.  RE: Building A Set - First Time Theatre Teacher

Posted 10-07-2015 15:38

Hello Amanda! designing and building a set can be time consuming, and takes up a lot of your stage and wing space away from your actors and stage crew.

Backdrops can easily transform your stage with minimal effort, while providing your students with a new aspect of scenic design that they may not be familiar with. 

Check out our website, Theatre Backdrops to get a better feel for the way that backdrops can enhance your production. 

We are always here to help with your scenic needs! 

-Nicole

Theatreworldbackdrops remove preview
    Theatre Backdrops Rentals | Rent a Custom, Dance or Event Backdrop | Theater Backdrop Rental
    Bring your next Theatrical production, Musical, Dance Recital or Special Event to life with eye-popping, world-class scenic imagery from TheatreWorld Backdrops rental collections! TheatreWorld's Signature Series backdrops are a scenic breed apart, and truly are the next generation of backdrops for the Theatrical, Dance and Special Event communities, available anywhere.
    View this on Theatreworldbackdrops >

Nicole Allegretto