Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Shop of Horrors choreography

Posted 11-25-2019 23:49
    I am directing my first musical (well, we did Starcatcher but I don't think that counts).  I am pretty much on my own as the choir and band teachers don't want to get involved although I am hiring a former student to help with vocals.  My question is about choreography; does anyone have any choreography videos that they are willing to share?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Scott Bier
    Whittier, CA

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back."

• 2.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors choreography

Posted 11-26-2019 08:37
    Be aware that specific choreography is the property of the creative artist, protected by law and not usually in the public domain. There have been instances where things like choreography, set design, etc have been "lifted" and used and the copyright owners have sued, shut down shows and pressed for damages. Unfortunately, in almost all cases, royalties paid to companies like MTI (the publisher in question) don't cover original choreography, design etc. 

Get a choreographer. Check with a couple of local dance studios that have balanced programs that include jazz and tap. They're more likely to have musical theatre teachers that could help. These folks, like almost all creative artists, piece together their living on part-time work, don't have benefits, etc. so consider how your budget can accommodate including them on your team.

Best of luck!

Tim Barden
    Managing Director
    Vermont Musical Theatre Academy
    South Burlington VT

• 3.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors choreography

Posted 11-26-2019 09:13
    If you decide to do a different show, you can get professional choreography from Jerry Mitchell and the like (10 shows available) at The Original Production https://www.theoriginalproduction.com.

Len Stachitas
    Ponte Vedra Beach FL

• 4.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors choreography

Posted 11-27-2019 11:02
    Choreography doesn't have to be too complicated, if you can't find a local dance teacher that can help, don't be afraid to try tackling it on your own. Or enlist the help of a student leader! For example, there's a great video here that teaches 5 basic dance steps that can be strung together in any number of ways. If you have a theatre class, maybe it could even be a group assignment (use these 5 steps to create choreography for the opening number of Little Shop of Horrors, rehearse and perform for the class)? The best group's choreography could be used in the show!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors choreography

Posted 11-27-2019 22:45
    Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

Scott

Scott Bier
    Whittier, CA

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back."