Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Comedy with 10+ characters

Posted 03-12-2017 10:45
    Morning all,

I would like to direct a comedy for our play next year. I have already directed You Can't Take It With You, The Odd Couple (both versions), and The Man Who Came to Dinner. Do you have any recommendations that accommodate 10+ characters? Preferably 12-14 characters. It would be great to do something that feels more contemporary.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Jordan Fox
    Windward School
    --
    Jordan Fox
    Area Head, Theater
    Windward School
    11350 Palms Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90066
    (310) 391-7127 ext.
    ​1131

• 2.  RE: Comedy with 10+ characters

Posted 03-13-2017 07:41
    Just started on a production of Leaving Iowa, for which we have a cast of 25.  So far, so good, though many of the parts are quite small.  For a not-so-contemporary, but funny show you could try Jabberwock by Lawrence and Lee, about James Thurber's early life.  Fun characters, talking pictures, and pretty zany.

------------------------------
    Monica Williams-Mitchell
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Comedy with 10+ characters

Posted 03-13-2017 10:02
    Check out Playscripts for large-cast contemporary comedies. You can search by length of show and cast size.

(I may have written some, or quite a few, of them.) I'm happy to give specific suggestions if you're interested.

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 4.  RE: Comedy with 10+ characters

Posted 03-13-2017 18:01
    THE COMPLETE WORKS OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE ABRIDGED is a delightful and wacky piece. It originally was performed by the three originators, but many groups expand the cast. I did it with 15 and a boatload of props.

• 5.  RE: Comedy with 10+ characters

Posted 03-14-2017 10:33
    Almost Maine
    A Little Piece of Heaven
    Daddy's Girl

Susan Draus
    teacher & theater advisor
    Downingtown Area School District
    Downingtown PA