Open Forum

View Only

Musical Suggestions?

• 1.  Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-06-2014 15:40
    Hey all,

I am trying to find a good musical that will make money and not cost too much (I know I'm asking for the impossible) that won't have ANYTHING that could "possibly offend anyone". Ideas?

-------------------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 2.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-07-2014 06:21
    Pinkaliscious (possibly misspelt): not sure how much it could cost, but it's a musical based on the wildly popular children's book series. Do a search for pinkaliscious the musical and it should direct you right to the info page. Definitely definitely sure not to cause offense to anyone. Except maybe men who don't like pink. Can't speak as to whether it's any good, or necessarily cheap, but I believe it MIGHT be cheaper than an MTI show. You always ask the easy questions 😄 ! ------------------------------------------- Phillip Goodchild Valrico FL -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-07-2014 06:33
    Shira - you might look into Pinkalicious. It's a short musical base on a very popular kds book of the same name. The cast can be small or large depending on how you want to cast it and my royalty quote for everything was about $700. You get to keep the scripts and other materials. ------------------------------------------- Cindy Henry Teacher USD 461 Neodesha KS -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-07-2014 07:27
    You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown is the first thing that comes to mind. It is a known quantity for audiences, you can do it with pretty much no set, and it's about as inoffensive as you can get. ------------------------------------------- Catherine Clark Brooklyn NY -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-07-2014 07:59
    Godspell. Unit set. No real budget necessary for costumes except for a superman shirt. Although written for 10, I've expanded to include 103. Actors remain on stage the entire show and there are enough scenes to spread the wealth amongst the actors. Fun and a moneymaker. ------------------------------------------- David Kramer Mt Sinai NY -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-07-2014 08:37
    I'm not sure what you have in mind for "not cost too much," but Seussical came to mind first.  Any show that can bring in elementary age students in addition to all other age groups is a money maker.  If you do the Junior version, it will cost less up front.

Another favorite of mine is Honk!  Again, you can do the Junior version for less money.
    Godspell doesn't cost much to produce.  Not sure what the full version royalties are, but, here I go again, there is a Junior version.  I did the Junior version once and had a family opposed to how Jesus died at the end and that he wasn't resurrected, so I don't know if it would meet your criteria for having an issue with being offensive.

Honk and Seussical are completely safe!

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 7.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-07-2014 10:00
    Thanks all. I'm trying to keep the costs for everything at under $4000. We're in a pretty religious area and I had problems with out fall play. People were complaining about the title (we did Jack the Ripper) not the content of the script so I'm treading very lightly right now. Has anyone done The Brain From Planet X?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 8.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-07-2014 11:14
    The Junior shows at MTI & R&H are developed for JHS. Their 'musicals in a box' approach for a flat fee (IIRC) is reserved for those schools...if a community theater or high school produces these shows there is no flat all-inclusive royalty. IIRC the royalty is determined using a similar formula just as if you were doing the full-length version (per performance). The advantages are keeping the materials, and an accompaniment CD, author-approved editing, etc. which are often ideal for JHS programs.

But not sure that there's really too much of a cost savings to produce a Junior (or Getting to Know) title for groups outside that targeted demographic.

Michael McDonough
    Stageworks Media
    New York NY

• 9.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-08-2014 07:59
    You might look at an operetta or melodrama, or something else in public domain, and then rework it as a spoof of the genre. More work for you, but you could tailor it for your students, while also avoiding royalties. ------------------------------------------- Susan Speidel Chairman of the Performing Arts Department Morristown-Beard School Springfield NJ -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-09-2014 19:27
    Shira, I'll be curious to see what you do.  We're in a similar boat - it looks like the era of the district funding the musical is over but the kids want to keep the "musical every year" tradition.  Since we did a show with a combo this year (Little Shop), our band director wants to do a show with a full orchestra next, whether that's next year or two years from now.  And it needs to be something big name enough to draw a bunch of people in so that we can recoup as much of the cost as possible.

I love this version of Cinderella and would love to do it next year for our musical but I believe it's only a piano for music.

http://sproutschildrenstheatre.com/cinderella.htm

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 11.  RE: Musical Suggestions?

Posted 11-13-2014 08:21
    SEUSSICAL

Sonja Hansen