Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Teaching Stage Tech Online

Posted 10-22-2020 12:32
    This is my first year teaching Stage Tech and well . . .   RIght now they are learning Sketch Up since they all have Chromebooks at home.  I amlooking for other ideas of how to teach stage tech virtually.

Any suggestions would be much appreiciated.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Scott Bier
    Whittier, CA

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back."

• 2.  RE: Teaching Stage Tech Online

Posted 10-22-2020 13:03

What units do you have in your syllabus? Is this an introduction course, or a more advanced course? What would your class be like if you were in person (f2f)?

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Teaching Stage Tech Online

Posted 10-22-2020 16:29
    Check out the Matt Kizer Light Lab 
    https://scenicandlighting.com/lightlabs/
    He has created some virtual light labs so students can play with lighting and there's some pretty cool short videos about tech theatre that might be useful. 

I also have students create projects (mostly props) from elements they can find at home. 
    In addition, I have the students do a scavenger hunt - I give them a props list and a budget and there job is to find each of the props on the list and stay within budget. That's a pretty cool project that gives them something hands on 

Just remember - there's more to tech than scenery. If you open it up to other tech elements it helps a lot. 
    Good luck

Tracie Folger
    Grayslake IL

• 4.  RE: Teaching Stage Tech Online

Posted 10-23-2020 12:06
    I also thought the light lab was/is a great tool.  I also think that technical theater can be taught online or virtually as much of the curriculum can be tailored to projects such as scene design, costume design, stage management, etc... I think the class lends itself to virtual instruction in this way.  For costume design, for example, there are a lot of great videos online and I think many of the projects could be guided by an instructor over video conferencing tools.  I think the challenge is in getting the tools and supplies to students such as water color paper, rulers, that sort of thing.  If your school is like mine, we can set up folders, boxes, etc for our remote students to stop by and pick up supplies outside our main office, or I just ask students to gather up a set of supplies in preparation for our next project.

The American Theater Wing has a lot of useful videos touching on all sorts of theater careers
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanTheatreWing

I also really like the Hale Center for the Performing Arts in Utah-- I think they have a great set of videos that are really useful for ideas

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Teaching Stage Tech Online

Posted 10-23-2020 13:11
    HI,
     Last year when we went remote I changed my Stagecraft and Design Class to accommodate being on line. I teach set design - they have to do models as a final project - costume design , sound design and lighting. I worked with my tech director to develop the lighting part. This is an Intro. course so I start with showing the students backstage videos of Spongebob and Shrek. They choose a cartoon or animated film to work with and develop designs for this cartoon as if they were going to turn it into a live production.  The final project is a presentation for a producer -selling their show and showing their ideas. I have a professional actor/director friend who sits in on the presentations and decides who has the winning show. The students, for the most part, are engaged and come up with some really neat ideas. Tjhis year i challenged them to find diverse cartoons or stories and I am adding a history choice ala Hamilton.
    cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT