Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thanks to all of YOU!

Posted 05-27-2016 10:31

It's getting to the end of the school year, and I can't let another year go by without thanking those of you who have contributed to my theatre education, which is all of you!!  I was thrown into an IB Theatre class three years ago (while continuing to teach English) and started up a defunct chapter of ITS, best decision I ever made because it lead me to this amazing forum.  My students sometimes kid me because I talk about the forum like it's a cult.  I have lurked in the shadows reading almost ever discussion that comes in the "Open Forum Digest for..." and I thank you for the tips, lesson plan ideas, and even attached documents!!  (I get a strange comforting feeling when I see the digest in my inbox!) I consider this forum my best professional development. I am grateful for your spirit of generosity, which, by example, makes me a better teacher and human being!

Last year I was asked to direct Sweeney Todd, which I eventually agreed to do.  I had never directed a musical before! I immediately went to this forum and read something like "I give credit to anyone producing ST for the first time-that's crazy!"  and felt my throat tighten up!  However, I worked hard, and the show was a huge success thanks to the people on this site who I have learned from tremendously.  It was my first musical production but because of all the advice and tips that I learned from all of you, no one would have ever guessed it.  We have a town of Huntington awards ceremony, called the HuntingTonys, for the 10 or so high schools in the district, and we were nominated for 9 of the awards, including Best Musical.  I absolutely owe that to all of you.  When I saw that someone just posted a question about Sweeney Todd, I was thrilled that I may be able to finally give back something to someone on this forum.

It doesn't seem enough for all you have given me (and my students)...but thank you!

Karen Malone

------------------------------
    Karen Malone
    Teacher
    Commack NY

• 2.  RE: Thanks to all of YOU!

Posted 05-28-2016 10:40

Congratulations!!!! I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank YOU, for your courage and great spirit! The best is yet to come :) Soon, if not already, you will hear and see the evidence of the hard work and experience you have given your students. Students and parents will appreciate the impact your program (and I really mean YOU) has had on their lives and share with you stories about the difference you have made for them. There will still be day where you question how you are going to survive, but you have this whole community pulling for you ;) Hope to see you at the Thespian Festival in Nebraska sometime! 

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA