Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LBGQT - Plays

Posted 05-04-2020 15:16
    HI,
      I know I saw someone was looking for an LBGTQ friendly play, but I can't find the post  so I am  starting a new thread. Hopefully the original poster will see this. My students and I devised a show for our GIN conference whose theme was Inclusivity.  We started our process with the intent to devise a platy which would be the opening event for the conference- the night before the conference.  The students knew they wanted to create a piece for which the main area of inclusivity was the LBGTQ community which many of them are a part of.  I wanted to start from scratch to create our own story but they were afraid they did not have time to do this. We decided to take a fairy tale and create a piece using the basic storyline. We chose Cinderella. The original plan was to have Cinderella be a lesbian and see where this took us. We developed a storyline  with this in mind. We thought we had it all figured out when our director watched a run for the first time and basically said - SO?!? This led to many changes which included setting it in the 1920s - with the fashion industry as the world of the play  rather than a kingdom. Long story short we ended up with a forty-forty-five minute play which has a lesbian main character, a transgender worker in a sweatshop , a person with a disability in the sweatshop and a drunk brother - heir apparent to the fashion house. The play was very well received- we were able to perform it twice- all of the festivals which we would have taken it to - were cancelled and the GIN conference became a virtual event.  We have a video of the Friday performance - not the quality we had planned upon and missing two actors due to illness but a video nonetheless. My students recorded a zoom meeting talking about their work on the play which was available for students to see at the virtual GIN conference. We are working on writing out a script of the play. If anyone is interested in the script or the videos, I believe this is the answer to finding a script about any subject that the students are passionate about- devise your own. It takes time and patience but it is worth it- it brings your students together and they find their own voice and their confidence. One of the hardest parts of the whole process was to get the students to belive in themselves and their ability to create something amazing.  If you are interested in learning more, seeing the videos or reading the script when it is ready, let me know.

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: LBGQT - Plays

Posted 05-06-2020 11:46
    Hi Cathy! I think that was @Jeffrey Davis. Here's the previous thread for reference:

Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play​

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: LBGQT - Plays

Posted 05-07-2020 05:11
    Bravo, Cathy! This sounds like you checked off the boxes for creating socially aware drama as well as numerous educational standards with this project. 
    I wish your students well.
    Debbie Corbin
    Retired, Branson High School, Branson, MO