Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Software Platforms for staged readings

Posted 04-21-2020 13:58
    Hi all,

Here in Kansas we were the first schools to close for the entire semester, so we've known for almost a month now we wouldn't be seeing our kids again.  To that end, I had to pretty much scrap two of my shows.  One is student-written and directed, however, and she is also using it to earn her Gold Star Award for Girl Scouts, so I couldn't just scrap that.  Since there were no royalty issues, we will be doing a virtual staged reading.  Our plan now is to record each scene with just the actors in that scene, and then edit the scenes together (rather than doing it totally live or having everybody logged in for the whole show).  There are the obvious options like Zoom and such, but does anybody know of a software platform that would give my student director more control over the screen layout during the recording session?

------------------------------
    Jason Coats
    Shawnee Mission Northwest HS
    Thespian Troupe #888
    Shawnee, KS

• 2.  RE: Software Platforms for staged readings

Posted 04-22-2020 10:52

Hi Jason – what a wonderful opportunity for your student and kudos to you for doing what you can to make it happen!  Final Cut Pro is a video editing program (for Mac) that would allow you to adjust the frame but only AFTER the scenes have been recording. If you're using any of the calling platforms to try to record, there are no ways to adjust the screen because it's not what they're designed for. (It helped my tech-adapting brain to look at those platforms as a conference call only versus video editing software.) However, you could have the students record the Zoom (or whatever platform you're using) and then edit them all together in a program like Final Cut.  I saw an article that Apple started offering a free trial. I'm not familiar with the normal costs and I will tell you that, after watching my husband use it for years for our department's promos, it takes quite a while to learn and editing can be a time consuming process. There may be people out there with much better input but I do know that researching the call platforms and things like YouTube/Facebook live, I'm not aware of any platform where you can adjust the screen AS you record. I wish you and your students all the best with their project!

Suzanne Maguire –

Glover M.S. CCLR

Associate Director, Tiger Drama

Assistant Coach, Speech & Debate

509-354-5687

Lewis & Clark High School

• 3.  RE: Software Platforms for staged readings

Posted 04-30-2020 15:44
    Jason,

Have you thought about an editting tool, such as WeVideo?  It has some great features, and would work with media from a variety of platforms.  We use WeVideo with our students, and they are able to import video files from Dropbox and Google Drive to manipulate in a final product.  If you are interested, I can share some resources I have gathered.

Christa Danner

Speech and Drama
    Blue Valley Middle School
    Stilwell, KS

• 4.  RE: Software Platforms for staged readings

Posted 05-28-2020 15:52

#Christa Danner

Christa,

I'm interested in what you have Gathered about WeVideo or anything else for editing or recording our online Show.

Thanks,

Maria Stadtmueller 
    St. Augustine School 
    StadtFamily@juno.com 

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 5.  RE: Software Platforms for staged readings

Posted 05-29-2020 15:02
    Jason,  

Your best bet is to have the students record themselves individually and submit their videos to you to edit to look like Zoom.  With scenes, you have the actors connect with each other through their cell phones (audio only call) because audio has no latency.  They connect their cell phones to a bluetooth or wired earbud that goes into their ear so they can hear the other actor but the video recording will not pick up the other actors voice.  When the actors are ready they let each other know they started recording, stare into the video camera lens that is recording them as if it is their other and act out their scene to the video lens.  When the scene is complete, have them hold their moment after for at least three seconds before breaking character.  When each actor feels that the take went well, they each send you their part of the scene to edit.  WeVideo is a real basic program you can use to edit as is iMovie.  Below is a link to our play.  The hosts, you will see each are on headset/cellphone call with each other while recording their scene so their is hardly any latency with their reactions to each other.  Let me know if you have any questions or need help in any way.  All the best!

https://youtu.be/-u8mfMoWurE

Scott F. Cooney
    "Lover of Life"
    NJ State Thespian State Board
    CTE Acting/Theatre Instructor
    BCIT Medford Academy of Performing Arts
    Medford, NJ