Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  teaching artists paid $300-$500/hour

Posted 06-16-2020 17:28
    Hi folks,
    I was excited to learn that the Tectonic Theater Project is offering Zoom Moment Work and student workshops for productions of The Laramie Project. However, I've learned that they charge $300-$500 per teaching artist per hour. While on the one hand I'm thrilled that teaching artists are valued so highly, on the other hand I'm kind of floored at what feels so exclusive. I have already talked with them about this and they understand how these prices exclude many students. I'm honestly curious to know how you feel about this. Is this in the ball park of fees that you have paid for master-level teaching artists (which is what they're called at Tectonic)?

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: teaching artists paid $300-$500/hour

Posted 06-17-2020 11:14
    Okay, so they charge a student $300 - $500 an hour to take a Zoom class? Makes you wonder what the teaching artists themselves get paid.

I would be hard pressed to pay that much for a Zoom class unless it was with somebody like DeNiro, Streep, Nicholson, or a very few others.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: teaching artists paid $300-$500/hour

Posted 06-17-2020 12:04
    Hello!  I would personally not pay this amount for anyone even if a one on one private lesson and something over zoom is not the same as an in person, hands on workshop.  There is not much I will pay for over Zoom especially not a student who needs the hands on experience.  Is this the total amount they will be paid for the hour or what each individual student has to pay for the hour long workshop?  I think this leaves out the majority of people.  At my school, the most we will charge students for a broadway professional (actor) to come in is $50/student for a 3-4 hour workshop.  The school will pay for the rest of the workshop which can run a few thousand dollars in total with paying for travel of the actor.  The $50 fee leaves out some of our students who do not want to pay or can't pay for the workshop.  But, I would not be willing to support an artist in residence workshop over Zoom to my students unless it was free or a very minimal amount.

Tracy Wagner
    Director & Choreographer for the Fine & Performing
    Lancaster Catholic High School
    Lancaster PA

• 4.  RE: teaching artists paid $300-$500/hour

Posted 06-17-2020 13:27
    Hi! It's $300-$500 per teaching artist *per session* not per student. So if there is a group of 15 students it's still $300-$500 per teaching artist. But if there are 3 teaching artists on the panel ... it's $900-$1500!

I got an email from another teacher on EdTA reminding me that if I want an expert I can simply hire any of the fantastic Equity actors or teaching artists in Los Angeles (where I teach) for a hell of a lot less money and still pay them fairly! Ha ha ha. SO TRUE!!!!

They also said about the "ridiculous production company fees": "Once you pay the ransom you will be expected to do so again (by parents and students)." Great point!!

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 5.  RE: teaching artists paid $300-$500/hour

Posted 06-19-2020 17:35

• 6.  RE: teaching artists paid $300-$500/hour

Posted 06-20-2020 08:06
    Hi Arden, 

I'd love to chat with you off line about this - I agree their book is very helpful, I encourage you to look at it, you could probably do it on your own.  Someone posted on this thread but here it is also: https://www.amazon.com/Moment-Work-Tectonic-Projects-Devising/dp/1101971770/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=moment+work&qid=1592500647&sr=8-2

Sobha Kavanakudiyil
    Director
    City College Educational Theatre
    Hackensack NJ