Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fine Arts Camp lessons

Posted 07-25-2017 22:15
    I have been asked short notice to help teach a Fine Arts Camp.

The theme is: Picasso in Paris, 1900-1945

I am teaching 7th, 8th, and 9th graders and I believe I will have about an hour with them (maybe a little more) with them a day for five days. 

I was thinking about hitting the different styles of theatre of the time:

Futurism
    Dadaism
    Surrealism
    Expressionism

What do you think?  Is this too much for this age group?  Does anyone have good resources or ideas for this area of theatre?  Great exercises to help teach this time period to 7th, 8th, and 9th graders?

Thanks again!

------------------------------
    Teri Turner
    Missouri

• 2.  RE: Fine Arts Camp lessons

Posted 07-26-2017 10:41
    One of my favorite things to do in a day camp setting is to adapt a story, poem or fairy tale,  etc to performance. One can bring in a lot of different styles, approaches, manipulatives/props, etc and produce a pretty nice product at the end of five days.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Fine Arts Camp lessons

Posted 07-26-2017 20:32
    I happened to just see several Picasso pieces at a museum and the images that arose as I read about your opportunity and Michael's suggestion are:
    After some theatre games to loosen up and create ensemble, show them pictures of iconic sculptures and paintings from different phases of Picasso's work. Have them create tableaux -"Harmonious groupings" that reflect the style of that phase of his work. Then let improvisations "awaken" from the tableaux.
    Use Michael's story idea with these images too.
    If you use your list of styles, pictures of art and performances might help them grasp each style and one could have them replicate these images, bringing them to life through improvisation and story theatre.

Lisa Dalton,
    National Michael Chekhov Association
    Fort Worth TX