Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sage Ramblings

Posted 02-22-2022 03:18

I know quite a few Theatre Teachers who have had some version of this conversation:

Friendly Person: Hi, are you one of the teachers?
    Drama Teacher: Yes. I'm the theatre teacher.
    Friendly Person: THE-a-ter? Really?
    Drama Teacher: Yes, really…in fact, we have a show coming up next week, it's…
    Friendly Person: So that's your job? You teach theatre?
    Drama Teacher: Yes. It's my actual job. The play we're doing is about…
    Friendly Person: That must be so FUN! Just doing skits every day.
    Drama Teacher: Yes. Yes, it is. (awkward pause) It's a great new play about…
    Friendly Person: Well, it's been so great meeting you. Bye!

Sound familiar?

Some of my friends react to this kind of conversation angrily. They feel diminished and disrespected. "Fun" indeed. Yes, it's a real job, and it's not easy. "Fun?" Do you tell math teachers that it must be fun adding and subtracting things all day?

I can relate, but I must disagree.
    The people with the "How fun!" reaction to the idea of teaching theatre are often just reacting to an experience they may have had as a child. They have no idea of the actual work that goes into running a theatre program.

When I look back at the years I spent as a real theatre teacher, I regret the energy I wasted on resentment. It's not worth it. There's too positive things you can do. There will always be people around who aren't interested in your program. Don't worry about them.

Think about the people who actually want to attend a play, or even better, think about the people who you want to recruit to be in your program.

I know these two statements are true:

The people who go to plays are the people who go to plays.

If you aren't building your program, you're watching it shrink.

Who else has a statement of truth that helps them get through the day?

------------------------------
    Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, Retired
    Northern Rep to the California Thespian State Board
    Carmichael, CA
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Sage Ramblings

Posted 02-23-2022 11:18

I totally agree, Billy.  Thanks for the perspective realignment.   Resentment, even when well-founded, is a time and energy vampire. 

Two things I tell myself every that are true:

1.       I love this job and these lovely people.

2.       Make sure the message of love gets through.

Oh, and our club mantra-If you don't make a choice, the wrong choice happens to you.  Good for the stage and good for life, I think. 

I choose to like people.  Seems more fun.