Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Arsenic and Old Lace

Posted 09-30-2019 15:46
    A question for anyone who has done Arsenic and Old Lace: what did you do for the collection of surgical scalpels and knives in Jonathan's kit?

------------------------------
    Helene Mengert
    Bentonville AR

• 2.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace

Posted 10-01-2019 07:01
    We did this years ago, we used a doctors bag and had lots of alternate items in the bag, rubber chicken ladies night gown and the such

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace

Posted 10-01-2019 07:21
    Spray painted metallic plastic knives look pretty cool and our pottery teacher had an assortment of creative tools we also painted silver.  An open end wrench canvas bag makes a great way to store all of the stuff inside the surgical case.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace

Posted 10-01-2019 08:19
    I've directed it twice, and a lot of it depends on how far the audience is from your stage.  Some plastic silverware and metallic silver spray paint is enough to create the suggestion of scalpels.  When I directed it, we had all manner of hand tools getting pulled out of Jonathan's bag along with the knives.  It worked well.

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 5.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace

Posted 10-01-2019 20:41
    We used some dental tools, wood chisels, other items we found around the shop. The more gruesome, the better.

• 6.  RE: Arsenic and Old Lace

Posted 10-02-2019 11:03
    We used a typical "doctor" bag. In it, we had a large handkerchief with dentistry items in it. The dentistry items really looked nice from the house Lots of hooks and sharp ends. Added a bit of blood to the handkerchief for effect.

Trevor Yarbrough
    Theatre Teacher
    Dyersburg TN