Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Improv troupe

Posted 07-30-2018 07:48
    Hello. I am considering starting an extra-curricular improv troupe in my school this year. Does anyone have advice or resources for this idea? I am not necessarily looking toward competition at this point but maybe will in the future.
    Thanks,

Mrs. Dorothea Hackett, M.Ed.
    National Board Certified Teacher
    English/French/Theater Arts
    9-12 English Department Chair
    International Thespian Society 6949 Sponsor
    DuBois Area Senior High School
    425 Orient Avenue
    DuBois, PA 15801
    814-371-8111 x3137
    dhackett@dasd.k12.pa.us
    or
    dhackett@students.dasd.k12.pa.us

• 2.  RE: Improv troupe

Posted 07-30-2018 12:59
    I had an EC Improv Troupe for years.  It was motivated by the students so the "buy-in" was huge.  We rehearsed once a week after school and once a week during lunch.  We performed a school various places/times and in the local community.  We did not compete, but had a lot of fun and eventually used our skills for local organizations' Professional Development.  Watching the students lead out with cooperate adults is empowering.  (They were well trained by this time.)  It's important to keep a notebook or e-notebook listing your drills, warm-ups, short-form games, and long-form games - with a few notes - so you can keep track of what your group did, what was successful, what improvements you made.  This also keeps your group from repeating too much.  We also sought out professional training with local and/or out-of-town groups.

------------------------------
    Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ

• 3.  RE: Improv troupe

Posted 07-31-2018 10:22
    If you are attending the EdTA National Conference in Denver, I am offering a workshop about my extra-curricular Improv Troupes and the many Improv Shows that we performed over a 30-year period.

The workshop title is "Produce a Stress-Free Improv Show." Guidelines, show rules, marketing tips, and numerous game lists will be distributed. If you won't be in Denver, contact me after the conference and I will email the information to you. 

I started the Improv Troupe to help students connect with their creativity and spontaneity, as well as to develop confidence, a sense of humor, cooperation and teamwork. But I quickly learned that Improv Shows can also provide a great source of additional revenue to attend conferences and help with production costs.

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education
    TRW
    NY