Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for a vignette play for middle school actors

Posted 11-11-2021 08:19
    What are your favorite vignette plays? Could include monologues, small group scenes, or a combination. 7th and 8th grade actors--beginning level class. Looking for a piece with discrete scenes that could be rehearsed largely separately, but can be presented together as something that's thematically cohesive. Under an hour is great. Thanks for any ideas.

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    MI

• 2.  RE: Looking for a vignette play for middle school actors

Posted 11-12-2021 07:46
    Absolutely check out the play Door to Door by Flip Kobler and Cindy Marcus from Pioneer Drama.  The show is exactly what you asked for with some monologues and multiple scenes.  All could be done separately or pieced together and the company is very cooperative with a few edits as long as the integrity of the show is kept in tact.  We chose it for a competition one act piece and will be performing it with some edits and shuffling of order (to stay within the time limit of competition), but it is incredible as is.  Has some funny, some serious, some in between and allows for varied levels of acting ability.  Our middle school troupe LOVES it.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School
    FL

• 3.  RE: Looking for a vignette play for middle school actors

Posted 11-12-2021 10:18
    I highly recommend "Yearbook" by Steven Fendrich through Pioneer Drama Service. My favorite part is that you have permission to delete or add scenes to make the show fit your school dynamic. It is a wonderful script and with doubling/tripling you can have as large or small of a cast as you want. I did this with 6-8th grades.

Carmen Caldera-Brzoska
    Elizabethtown High School
    KY

• 4.  RE: Looking for a vignette play for middle school actors

Posted 11-12-2021 14:22
    Take a look at "Shakespeare Young@Part - Some Comedies" by Carol Pugliano-Martin, https://trwplays.com/shakespeare-young-at-part-some-comedies/. Written for middle school students, it introduces the audience to 6 of Shakespeare's comedies. Carol has written numerous plays and stories for Scholastic, Children's Television Workshop, and teaches Humanities to elementary students in Connecticut. 

[Jim] [Hoare]
    [New York] [NY]

• 5.  RE: Looking for a vignette play for middle school actors

Posted 11-13-2021 09:20
    I highly recommend looking through Theatrefolk. Lindsay Price has some really great vignette pieces.

Andrew Walker
    Osceola High School
    FL