Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Little Mermaid Transformation

Posted 12-03-2017 22:01
    Hi there, 
    How have you done the transformation of Ariel from Mermaid to Human-preferably without flying and without projections...Also how can I nearly drown Prince Eric without it looking cheesy? Any other tips for The Little Mermaid-Ariel's voice into shell? Breaking shell? Switching between the sea and the shore? I am the new theatre teacher on a budget, but wanting to make an impression-Any help is appreciated!

------------------------------
    Carina Stiles
    Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix AZ

• 2.  RE: The Little Mermaid Transformation

Posted 12-04-2017 07:27
    We had a spinning "tower" for Ursula's lair.  Ariel was put in the tower when she gave over her voice and then we spun the tower to do a quick change into her "legs skirt".  We threw some strobes and fog in there and it worked fine.  We JUST closed this show in November - feel free to email me if you'd like to chat ideas/effects.  I had them same problems when putting it on.

Claire LaNicca
    Theatre Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: The Little Mermaid Transformation

Posted 12-04-2017 09:48
    ​I just did the Jr. production with 3rd through 5th grade students so we kept things technically simple for the most part. For the transformation, I made her fin skirt a wrap skirt that could be easily untied to reveal her legs under and we had scrappy shorts underneath it.

Shelby English
    Theatre Teacher
    Georgia Junior Thespians Chapter Board Member
    Macon GA

• 4.  RE: The Little Mermaid Transformation

Posted 12-05-2017 10:04
    We did the Jr. version with our middle school students.  We had Ariel, the mersisters, and Flounder all on Heelies, so our transformation was a little more involved than just switching the skirt.  We had a black out with strobe lights, and Ursula's laugh reverberating through the auditorium for the transformation.  This gave Ariel time to get her Heelies off, change her skirt, and get back on stage where she needed to be.  A lot of it depends on the ages of your students, their experience level, and your technical abilities.  Be creative and have fun with it.  :)

Nicole Deckert
    Theater Director
    Northridge Middle School/Northridge High School
    Middlebury, IN

• 5.  RE: The Little Mermaid Transformation

Posted 12-05-2017 16:27
    We did this show last year - and we are also in Phoenix! For the transformation, we had a custom built skirt from which the bottom portion "velcro'd" on and off. Flotsum and Jetsam slowly undid the bottom as Ariel spun with the music. We recorded Ariel's voice from the shell. Long stretches of blue fabric were used throughout the show, and they "floated" above Eric as we watched him drown... 

I would be happy to chat with you on further explanations or other ideas/problems. It is a fun (but challenging!) show!

Keith Burns
    Phoenix Country Day School

Keith Burns
    Theatre Arts Director
    Paradise Valley AZ