Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Mermaid Set

Posted 03-10-2022 08:53
    Hi everyone!

I had arranged with a company to rent set pieces for our production of The Little Mermaid.  Just yesterday, the company informed me that they can't rent me the pieces.  So I have two questions:

Does anyone know of any places where I can rent pieces around New Jersey?  I have done plenty of Google searching and exhausted most possibilities I found.

Does anyone have any advice on building a simple set?  I'm most concerned about Prince Eric's ship, King Triton's throne, Ursula's lair, and Ariel's Grotto.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Paul Weinstein

• 2.  RE: Little Mermaid Set

Posted 03-11-2022 08:29
    Hey Paul, 

While I don't necessarily have answers for all your set needs, may I suggest cutting Triton's throne. We are currently rehearsing for The Little Mermaid and open next weekend. We had two columns in set storage that we just covered in seaweed that gives the look of someone with power that saved us from the need for a throne. I also know MTI has projections you can purchase for (I think) somewhere around $750. It's not ideal, but at least they would help establish the world of the musical.

I'd let you rent our set, but we're based in Cincinnati, OH so I am not sure how much help we would be.

Sincerely,

David Trump
    Drama Teacher
    Milford High School
    OH

• 3.  RE: Little Mermaid Set

Posted 03-11-2022 16:17
    I directed Little Mermaid Jr a couple of years ago with a fairly minimal set. We used:

--Backgrounds/environments: 4 periaktos (flats on a triangular base) on wheels -- we made each of the panels double sided so we had 6 panel options per periaktos base. This was enough to have scenery for the ocean surface, Triton's palace, the beach, Ursula's lair, Ariel's Grotto, the lagoon, and Eric's palace. 
    Perioktos
    Sketchup remove preview
    Perioktos
    Three sided rotating stage set design piece. This is designed to use a standard 4x8 sheet on each side.
    View this on Sketchup >

--Ship: 2 sets of horizontal hinged flats (with handles for carrying) for the sides of the ship, plus a ship's wheel on a post, and theatre cubes painted like ship crates for levels. When the ship is destroyed in the storm, the actors carried off the different elements of the ship as though they were being tossed into the storm

--Boat: we just used one of the horizontal hinged flats with Ariel & Eric behind it.

--We didn't have a throne for Triton; you could probably get away without it.

I can send you photos, design notes, etc. if that's helpful. Let me know -- sullivan.mackintosh@canby.k12.or.us

Sullivan Mackintosh
    Drama Advisor/Theater Director
    Canby Union High School
    OR

• 4.  RE: Little Mermaid Set

Posted 03-12-2022 08:02

Hi Paul,

I'm so sorry to learn that your rental fell through. Are projections an option in your space? If so, Broadway Media's Scenic Projections for The Little Mermaid are an official MTI resource and have every scene, setting, and magical moment in the show (including Prince Eric's ship, Ariel's Grotto, and Ursula's Lair). All you'd need is a projector, a surface to project on, and a playback device. 

If this is an option for your production, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.  

Break a leg (or is it fin?)! 

Melissa Kratish
    Broadway Media Distribution
    CA

• 5.  RE: Little Mermaid Set

Posted 03-13-2022 07:41
    What's your time frame? Do you have a shop/who is building for you, and what is their experience level? I have some ideas.

Jodi Williams

• 6.  RE: Little Mermaid Set

Posted 03-13-2022 16:45
    Hi all,
    I just finished a production of Something Rotten! and used the Broadway Media projections and they were AMAZING! The company was easy to work with and very good with customer service.  That could be a solution for you if you have the ability. Between the projections and some minimal/multi-purposed set pieces, could be a good solution.

Break a leg!

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA