Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Storytelling

Posted 10-07-2021 13:20
    I am teaching a digital story telling class for middle school. This past week we listened to some videos about the history of storytelling  of the indigenous people. The video talked about the important role that the storyteller plays in their culture.  I was thinking about stories and storytellers in the world today and wondering who are the storytellers who are teaching us the ways of our world and the history. Is it the people on facebook and tiktok and Instagram?   Is it the stories told in video games?  I welcome your thoughts.  I want to explore this with my students.

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    EdTA Member or Troupe Director
    Rutland High School
    VT

• 2.  RE: Storytelling

Posted 10-08-2021 10:59
    In addition to those telling their/our stories on social media, I think our current storytellers are who they have always been: the playwrights, poets, authors, song writers, dancers, and artists. What a good topic to explore!

Linda Apperson,
    Stage Manager and Mentor
    Milwaukie, OR

• 3.  RE: Storytelling

Posted 10-09-2021 07:55
    Cathy, I'd love to hear how this turns out and what you do with the students.  I'm very interested in doing something similar with my middle schoolers.

Storytelling is still alive and well on "The Moth" on NPR.  The Moth | The Art and Craft of Storytelling 
    One project on my "to do" list is to listen to a bunch of stories and find a few good "middle school appropriate" ones to share with my students ... but I haven't got to it yet.

Also a list of tips:  The Moth | Storytelling Tips & Tricks 

I realize this isn't as modern and cool as TicTok, but once you start listening to a good (contemporary) story, you realize that words and voices are still so powerful!  The Moth doesn't get the same kind of huge audience that various internet platforms get ... but I can dream.

Kristin Hall
    Pronouns: she/her/hers
    Drama Director
    Lincoln MA