Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  MS/HS Combo Seasons

Posted 08-28-2019 18:32
    Hi all! I teach theatre arts classes in grades 6-12 at a preK-12 school. We used to have only a high school program for about 10 years, but then we opened auditions up to middle school students two years ago when we produced a children's theatre show. That same school year, the spring show was for high school only. We planned to continue that pattern, but last year, our fall show (the MS/HS combo) got cancelled because our performing arts space was delayed in its opening. Soooo, we moved the MS/HS combo production to the spring (1 show for the whole school year). 

This year, we are producing a MS/HS combo production in the fall like usual, but now I'm at a loss on what to do for the spring. On one hand, we can carry on with the original intent of 1 combo and 1 HS only show, but my MS students are completely jazzed up about the program, and I feel bad leaving them out half the year (they do have the option of taking the class, but there isn't an additional performance outlet). On the other hand, there are only so many shows that appeal to both ages of students. My HS students don't mind doing a children's theatre piece once a year, but they're dying for some meatier work.

Anybody have suggestions on a fair solution? Two MS/HS combos? Keep it 1-1? Something else?

------------------------------
    Maralie Medlin
    Director of Fine Arts
    Gaston Christian School
    Gastonia, NC

• 2.  RE: MS/HS Combo Seasons

Posted 08-29-2019 06:43
    Hi Maralie,
    In consideration of your high school students, I'd keep it @ ​1 & 1.  It gives your high schoolers something to take ownership of and it also give your middle schoolers something to look forward to. Good luck!
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: MS/HS Combo Seasons

Posted 08-29-2019 06:46
    It sounds like I teach in a similar program. We do one musical and one play every year and we rotate which one is 7-12 and which is 9-12. I think it is important for the high school students to get to work with some different materials so I've kept 2 shows but sometimes it's hard to maintain the energy of the MS with a gap. So I allow MS to do crew for both shows. We also added a 3-6 grade performance that is directed by someone else. In this way I'm still providing opportunities for feeding my program from the younger students but giving a chance for HS to be Hs.

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: MS/HS Combo Seasons

Posted 08-29-2019 07:12
    Have you thought of doing 2 one acts instead of a full show?  We used Once Upon A Wolf and The Emperor's New Clothes a few years back.   It used lots of students and fairytale theater is great for older students to have fun with.  Another is Rumplestiltskin Private Eye.  The comedy in it s a little more sarcastic, so the older students "get it" .  I'd say, still do your musical and consider 2 one acts for your other "show".  We are also a Christian school so we deal with the same constraints you might have. (Once Upon A Wolf is one of my favorites)

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 5.  RE: MS/HS Combo Seasons

Posted 08-29-2019 12:45
    I also teach Middle and High schools.  We do a one-act in October (HS only, auditions early August), Full-length musical in February (HS only, auditions late September), and a full length play or musical in late April (MS only).  Yes, it's a lot and I don't really have an "off" season, but it works.  I usually have MS auditions the week after Christmas break and work with them once a week until the HS musical is over in Feb., then I can shift my focus to MS for the rest of the year. The spring is just too busy of a time for high school (prom, graduation, sports, etc.). Plus, this arrangement allows middle schoolers to get lead roles in their show and not have to compete with HS students.  The only drawback is that MS doesn't have much to do for the first semester.  Last year I let them do some Christmas skits in conjunction with the band/chorus concert.  We rehearsed the scenes in our daily classes so that it did not take away from my after school rehearsal time with HS.  I like the combo idea and may try that in the future.  One show I would love to do as a combo is The King and I:) Some other suggestions for kid/adult roles would be Matilda, School of Rock, and Elf the Musical:)  Good luck!:)

Lori Bush
    Director of Theatre Activities
    Pike County Middle & High Schools
    Zebulon, GA