Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Character Exercises

Posted 11-11-2014 23:58
    I'm starting a new show and have a very green cast this year. We've done several of the standard character development exercises (character bios, hot seat, improv scenes) and my actors have a DEEP understanding of their roles/relationships, but I'm having trouble getting them to physically express that. It is a comedy (children's theater) and I'm at a loss for how to get them to not "look like themselves," short of telling them how to stand/walk/gesture. I'd appreciate any exercises that can help! I'd really like these characters to be something they take risks with and develop from their own understanding of the play. ------------------------------------------- Nicole Pedroche Drama Teacher Covina CA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Character Exercises

Posted 11-12-2014 08:09
    Have you discussed character objective and tactics?  Focusing on actable verbs and how to express them may be helpful.  Also, I find that running my students through viewpoints exercises can be super helpful. 

My strongest recommendation would be to find some masks.  If you are fortunate enough to access Commedia dell' arte stock character masks you are set but any half mask will do.    Have them wear them and find body positions in front of a mirror or use the Coach's Eye App to record them.  The mask helps by removing themselves from the character. Make it a contest for who can deliver the biggest character (from a physical stand point).

-------------------------------------------
    Jo Pillsbury
    Theatre Director
    Rochester Community Schools
    Rochester Hills MI

• 3.  RE: Character Exercises

Posted 11-12-2014 11:12
    You might try having each actor choose an animal that represents the personality of their character. Have them do physicality exercises that require then to imitate the actual movements of the animal. Then have then slwoly pick specific physcalities that they can "humanize" and incorporate into their character.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Character Exercises

Posted 11-13-2014 07:25
    Sometimes I have kids study the nonverbal behavior of passive, aggressive, assertive, and passive-aggressive people. It gives them something physical to connect to. ------------------------------------------- Cindy Henry Teacher USD 461 Neodesha KS -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Character Exercises

Posted 11-13-2014 10:24
    Here's what I do on a regular basis:
    Step 1:  Mill and Seethe.  Have students walk around a large open space.  Their sole focus is on filling in the space by constantly walking toward open spaces in the room.  Introduce the concepts of center of gravity, leading with energy balls in particular parts of the body, creating a personal gesture, attitude, etc.
    Step 2:  Half of the class sits and observes the other half as they mill and seethe.  Each student is assigned to secretly observe another walking student and how they 1) walk, 2) come to a stop, 3) Start from stop.  They look for signature movement, leading energy, center of gravity, etc.  After observing for a several minutes or more, the students exchange places and the observers imitate their observed.  Start with direct imitation and then "dial it up" to cartoonish heights.  Afterwards, have the original walkers guess who portrayed them.  Switch.
    Step 3:  Using the previous vocabulary, have the students find their characters physicality.  Dial it up to cartoonish heights.  Find the various levels.  Have them do simple meet,greet and goodbye's with each other using cartoon versions of their characters.
    Step 4:  Have a party with the characters, focusing on their cartoonish movement and then having them "dial it down" to their normal movement.

I credit the Wonderful Sarah Liane Foster with this process.  It works every time.

Tom Beckett
    Portland OR