Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Troupe Community Service

Posted 11-14-2018 21:23
    Dear Hive Mind, our troupe is brand new and my eight initiates are considering a community service project for this first year and I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions. TOTS eats (am I saying that right?) is Halloween centered and already past, so we're looking for some ideas that maybe other groups do either annually or as one-offs that you can recommend. We will have some skits for a showcase ready in May, so maybe a traveling theatre show that goes to a venue for seniors somewhere? I'm completely open to anything that they can have agency in the creation and execution of. I really want our Jr. Thespian Troupe to be about more than just their own achievements on the stage and about sharing the joy of theatre beyond our school program.

Thank you for any ideas!

------------------------------
    Patti Veconi
    Brooklyn NY

• 2.  RE: Troupe Community Service

Posted 11-15-2018 07:48
    This is a great opportunity for your group to brainstorm and choose a project close to their hearts and locale.
    A face painting booth at a local craft fair or other event,
    Performing skits and songs for a senior living center,
    Performing a children's show for elementary students,
    A one day "theatre camp" held during the upcoming shopping season,
    An improv show where the admission is canned goods for a local food bank,
    The possibilities are endless! Just establish time and financial parameters for your students so that it doesn't cost too much. In some cases a local school foundation will cover the cost of makeup or royalties.
    And Go!!  Have fun!
    Debbie Corbin
    Retired, Branson, MO High School
    President, EdTA Governing Board

• 3.  RE: Troupe Community Service

Posted 11-16-2018 10:50
    HI,
      Our Troupe is a cancer Relay for Life  team. We do fundraisers for them throughout the year.  Last year we devised a play which fit the theme of the relay for life event in June. We performed this as a part of the event. Currently we are running a money war which involves the producers and myself. Each of us will do whatever we promised-  for example I will dye my hair a color the producers pick, one producer will be taped to the wall during our final day before Thanksgiving break, etc.  Last year and the year before we did a minute to give it for Relay for Life during one of our final productions.  We have been asked to do a murder mystery play for a local organization that assists people with developmental disabilities. 
    Cathy

• 4.  RE: Troupe Community Service

Posted 11-15-2018 08:28
    Last year we did "Birthday Party in a Box" but I don't know who to give credit to for the idea. The troupe collects things needed for a birthday party (cake mix, frosting, balloons, tablecloth, etc.) and pack the items into clear shoe boxes. (Get the ones with straighter sides - the cake mix will fit better.) After the boxes are filled, you can mark them (young boy, teenage girl, etc.) if you want and then take them to a local food pantry. This is a nice surprise with items the parent probably would not be able to afford to help brighten a child's birthday.

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 5.  RE: Troupe Community Service

Posted 11-19-2018 07:35
    We have partnered with an elementary school in my district to be "reading buddies," where the theatre kids helped struggling students with reading skills.

Look at the TOTS Eat program and replicate it for different time of the year- find a connection with Valentine's Day perhaps.

Many schools also do bucket campaigns for Broadway Cares during their shows. We have also done it where audience members vote for their favorite performer or scene by putting money in labeled buckets. I would never reveal the winner, but we would raise a lot of money that could be donated to a cause related to the show we were doing.

Scott Wilson
    Fine Arts Consultant
    Ohio Department of Education
    Columbus OH