Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Smoking On Stage

Posted 09-10-2018 07:44
    I'm directing The Glass Menagerie this fall, and I keep wrestling with the continuous smoking in the show. Have any of you done this successfully? If so, how did you handle the smoking?

------------------------------
    Matthew Peoples
    Theatre Teacher
    Bentonville, AR

• 2.  RE: Smoking On Stage

Posted 09-10-2018 08:40
    Depends on what you're asking.

Do the characters need to smoke? Yes, I think so - it's a part of the story and characters. If that's an issue with your school, you could contact the publisher about permission to change it.

As to how to handle it, there are fake cigarettes out there, and some of them create fake smoke. You probably don't need the fake smoke - it's the act of smoking, not the smoke itself.

Personally, I'd buy some quarter-inch dowel, cut a bunch of cigarette-sized lengths, and paint 'em white.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Smoking On Stage

Posted 09-10-2018 15:18
    Good afternoon,

I have done it both ways. We did grease and the actors actually smoked cigarettes. I have also done the show with the fake cigarettes which look like fake cigarettes. I like the idea of painting dowel rods.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Smoking On Stage

Posted 09-11-2018 08:47
    Hey Matthew,
    We needed smoking for a character last year. I found a great thing called the actor's cigarette. It looks real & produces a little steam/smoke. A few parents were upset, so I knew it was believable... 

The website is newrulefx.com - they do other special effects props like breakaway lamps & stuff, too.

Break a leg!

Janis Valdes
    Department Chair, Performing Arts
    Villa Duchesne Oak Hill School
    St. Louis MO

• 5.  RE: Smoking On Stage

Posted 09-11-2018 09:44
    I saw the 2013 revival with Zachary Quinto and Cherry Jones. I do not remember Tom smoking. I looked back at the photos and it does seem there is one scene on the balcony with the Gentleman Caller during which Tom smokes. Honestly, at this age I find it distracting even though it is period accurate.

Annemarie Bean
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT
    abean@longtrailschool.org

• 6.  RE: Smoking On Stage

Posted 09-11-2018 22:38
    I have seen this done with no smoking, fake cigs like mentioned, and starting to light, but not lightning or realizing no more matches.

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Jay County High School
    Portland, Indiana
    cgebert@jayschools.k12.in.us
    419-910-1287
    Thespian Troupe #574

• 7.  RE: Smoking On Stage

Posted 09-12-2018 11:21
    Couple thoughts I'd share: 
    There are Herbal Cigarettes, like these Stage Herbal Cigarettes - Ecstacy. There are also these as well (these puff) and are extremely inexpensive--Fake Puff Cigarettes. The first option is real smoking, just with a herbal cigarette. The latter is a puff to create the smoke. The thing with the herbal cigarettes that I think is interesting isn't as much of the act of smoking, but the "wisps" of the smoke around the character. 

Best of luck, 
    Marty

--
    Marty Boyer
    martyb@theatrehouse.com
    President, Theatre House
    www.theatrehouse.com