Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-05-2017 14:02
    I just finished try-outs for Legally Blonde and we only had 3 guys audition. And two of them can't carry a tune or match pitch! Lots of very talented women! What do I do now?How do I soften the blow of not doing LB when everyone was hyped for it? How can I recruit guys?
    I've always been of the opinion that going out and talking students into being in a show didn't work. I always got students that weren't dedicated and not that interested. 
    Suggestions? Change to another show that would interest guys and girls?

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-05-2017 14:45
    I'm so sorry. That's really rough. Have you spoken to your choir teacher to see if the kids were aware of the audition? I've noticed that sometimes the kids don't necessarily pay attention if something isn't specifically mentioned to them.

If you have to change the show then you have to. :^( It's unfortunate, but if you don't have the males then you can't do the show. The reality is that you need at least 7 guys to make the show work and even then you'd have a lot of double and triple casting.

Would your kids be interested in Little Women?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-05-2017 15:02
    I'm not familiar with the script or the demands of the show, so I might be way off base... But how possible would it be to have some eager and good-sport girls play 'pants roles' for the guys you don't have?

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-05-2017 15:47
    Thanks for the suggestions! The problem with Little Women is I just don't like the piece, whether book, play, musical, opera. As for women playing men, unless it's believable it bothers me. If I do Macbeth and have to use women they are female soldiers, not women playing men. I am using one female as a male lawyer but I plan on getting permission to change the gender of the character.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-05-2017 15:51
    Would your guys be able to character sing the parts? The only other musical I can think of with only 1 male part is Stop The World I Want To Get Off and that doesn't have a lot of name recognition... and depending on your community might not go over very well...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-06-2017 13:49
    I shop out for important male roles and always get an abundance of talent and commitment.
    I call my male roles - guest artists and I only cast the main roles outside. I post an ad in the trade paper and audition. Now I usually add a stipend but some young actors are really looking for experience like an internship so that might be a way to market. I do not know if your school could do such a thing but it works for me as I am at an all-girls school. The important thing is that I get the commitment and the talent.

Sent from my iPad

• 7.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-06-2017 14:21
    I know that the kids in Band can all sing.  Go to the Band director and plead your case!  They are also very smart and responsible!

Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 8.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-07-2017 02:46
    We did Footloose this year and had the same problem. It was our school's first musical in 10 years so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was still surprised that a title like Footloose didn't draw in more students. We had a lot of wonderfully talented females, and we did have a few good men, but we definitely did not have enough of them to cover all the parts needed and, worst of all, we did not have a good clear choice for the main character, Ren. I was definitely feeling panicked. Changing the musical was not really an option for us, It was Footloose or cancel completely.So, my choreographer and I made a game plan.

First, we posted the cast list from our first auditions, but we did not list any roles for anyone. It was simply a list of who was going to be offered a role. I've never done that before but we decided it was necessary under the circumstances. We didn't want to keep them all completely hanging while we figured out what to do, but we also didn't want to cast some roles but not others. Then we held a cast meeting and explained what was going on. We decided we were going to hold a second "boys only" audition. We encouraged those who had been cast to go out and find fellow students who might be interested and encourage them to audition. They knew that if we couldn't find more men we would have to give up on the show. It was a great motivator. We also (with permission from our principal) extended an offer to the other high schools in our district and local homeschooling programs that if there were any interested young men, they were welcome to come and audition. And finally, I personally invited several students from my lower level theatre classes. I told every boy in my Intermediate theatre class that they had a part if they would just come to the audition and commit to the rehearsal schedule.(I only had one take me up on it but he was amazing!)

For our "Boys Only" audition we did not make them prepare something ahead of time, which is what they would have had to do at the normal audition. We treated it more like a callback (all in the same room together, learning music from the show, a shorter dance section, etc). We did not have huge numbers of boys come to the second audition, but it was enough so that we could carry on and do the show. We were so incredibly lucky that one of them was the perfect Ren! We also cast our Chuck from this second round group as well, and several members of the ensemble. I think there were boys who wanted to audition the first time but lacked the initial courage, and so by the time we had the second audition (which was about a week later), they had built up the courage and were determined to not let this second chance pass them by. 

It's not a perfect way to do things and there are a lot of risks involved, but it worked for us and we were able to do our show, which is the important thing. We had only about 10 boys total and so nearly all of them were double (or sometimes triple) cast, but those boys were all incredibly dedicated and wonderful. They had the time of their lives.

I don't know the specifics of your program and students, but maybe something similar would work for you? If you (and the other students who already auditioned) had your hearts set on Legally Blonde, I think it's worth a try.

Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Port St. Lucie, FL

• 9.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-07-2017 20:28
    Get the girls in on recruiting! Every year I choose my shows and tell the girls "the reality of musical theatre is that we're always short on boys. If you want to do this show, bring the
    boys." They always deliver. And they care about the show, so they find guys who are talented and committed. 

I never make them prep prep their own music (but I'm at a middle school). They all learn an initial audition song in the first 30 minutes of the call, then are assigned numbers. They also sign audition/acting contracts before they ever come in so I get a pretty good idea of who is auditioning, with only one or two who back out. I also will selectively ask a few specific kids about auditions, but not too many. 

I also choose a couple boys Each year to mentor the younger guys and also help recruit. They know they need the cast filled out. This year the mentire also ran cross country and recruited 4 boys from the team!

Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 10.  RE: Legally Blonde Tryouts: Not enough men.

Posted 05-07-2017 22:21
    One year when I was casting How to Succeed, I told the girls that I'm only casting twice as many girls as the number of boys I have on stage.  That really motivated the girls to recruit boys - and it worked.  

Kristina Cummins
    Olympia WA