Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  play ideas

Posted 09-29-2017 06:21
    Any suggestions for a medium length, murder mystery in the spirit of the "guy noir" era with the somewhat cheesy, stereotypical characters and suspects? Looking for one that is heavy on girls- have roughly 4-5 guys if I don't lose any to winter sports.
    Rachel Cunningham
    Elwood Jr/Sr HS Guidance Counselor
    765-552-9854 ext 1156

• 2.  RE: play ideas

Posted 09-30-2017 10:29
    Check out Pat Cook's 'Monday' series. They're cheesy and funny, easily staged (I used a student director), and the audience had a great time. The have all the noir elements, so it's a fun teaching moment, and the cast gets to play these classic stereotypical characters. 

We had a ball!  

• 3.  RE: play ideas

Posted 09-30-2017 10:33
    Check out Pat Cook's 'Monday' series. They're cheesy and funny, easily staged (I used a student director), and the audience had a great time. They have all the noir elements, so it's a fun teaching moment, and the cast gets to play all these classic stereotypical characters. 

We had a ball!  

• 4.  RE: play ideas

Posted 10-01-2017 20:43
    The Lady Cries Murder... one of my favorites. 

• 5.  RE: play ideas

Posted 10-02-2017 13:04
    We had fun with Design for Murder by George Batson.  It was apparently written as a touring vehicle for Tallulah Bankhead.  Three males, five females, I believe.  You've got to love a murder mystery where a guy enters and falls over with pruning shears in his back!

------------------------------
    C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: play ideas

Posted 10-04-2017 10:55
    Don Zolidis's A Lighter Shade of Noir is a spoof of that kind of thing. He uses recognizable famous detectives, but flips a lot of them from male to female, so it should accommodate your girls.

---------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams

Adel GA
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: play ideas

Posted 10-04-2017 19:28
    Thanks for the recommendation, Jeremy, but I didn't actually write that (I haven't written all the plays!). Patrick Derksen is your guy. I have a number of murder mystery spoofs as well, but nothing that specifically uses the film noir technique.

A Lighter Shade of Noir by Patrick Derksen - Theatrefolk
    Theatrefolk remove preview
    A Lighter Shade of Noir by Patrick Derksen - Theatrefolk
    A fabulously funny and high styling take on film noir.. Read up to 90% of this play for free!
    View this on Theatrefolk >

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX