Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-13-2018 12:36
    I'm thinking about doing She Kills Monsters and I'm just curious what the pros and cons are of this show? I know costumes and props can be a huge undertaking (when are they not?) But my main concern is that my district is in a tiny mountain town full of older retired people and I'm worried we won't get as many people to show up to a show about Dungeons and Dragons. They love the old shows like Our Town, Arsenic and Old Lace, ect. But I would love to do to something more modern with my group. Will take any tips or suggestions! Thanks

Jordanne 

• 2.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 06:24
    I did that show 2 years ago; I loved it, and the kids loved it even more. It was received really well by most of our audience (with a few exceptions). The fight scenes were the most challenging. I feel pretty confident doing fight choreography, but there was so much of it in that show, that it was a challenge to keep it from being redundant. But I would do that show again in a heartbeat. My 2 cents on your question: educational theater is not always about the audience. Your audience might not respond (but you also might be surprised; there is a lot of heart in that play), but your kids sure will.

------------------------------
    David Nields
    Theater Director
    Bradenton FL

• 3.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 06:41
    The show (younger edition, which I personally prefer) is about finding community, avoiding pre-conceptions, looking past first impressions and seeing the person. It's about empathy and understanding that your perspective may not be revealing the whole picture. While it is clearly focused on younger people, it's a reminder that is relevant regardless of your age (particularly in this time of division and partisanship?)
    --
    ---
    John E. R. Friedenberg * Director of Theatre * Department of Theatre & Dance * Wake Forest University
    336-416-3142 m * 336-758-5995 vm * 336-758-5294 office 
    Are you subscribed to the Theatre & Dance alumni listserv? http://lists.wfu.edu/mailman/listinfo/wfutalum

• 4.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 07:45
    I've selected the junior edition for our spring play, and I am super excited-- as are the students. I love the inclusive message of the play and I'm looking forward to the challenges of the fight scenes and costuming!  I too had concerns about some of the topics and language, but my principal didn't seem to mind and my students were so enthusiastic about the play that I couldn't resist! Good luck to you!!

Caroline Clayton
    Teacher
    New Palestine IN

• 5.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 09:52
    Hi Jordanne,

Don't underestimate your audience. D&D has been around since the 70s. Folks my age were playing it in high school and college. They might really enjoy the flashback to their youth. :-)

Regards,

Bob

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 6.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 10:22
    I heartily agree with everything that has been said about SKM. I am directing it right now and LOVING it, so are my kids. I had the same concerns as you about the what my community might think, but my main goals when producing shows is to not only entertain, but make people think. Theatre needs to spark reaction. This show does that. It has also provided a great opportunity for my cast and I to talk about the themes in the show and have great discussions. It has raised a lot of emotions for a lot of us. Feel free to message to ask anything else. We go up in a couple of weeks.

Elise Marinkovich
    Drama Teacher/Director, Drama Club Advisor
    San Diego CA

• 7.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 10:48
    I echo what has been said already. We serve the students first, so the stories that excite them are the stories we should be bringing to life. Miller, Wilder, and so on are still relevant but the students really connect with this script. Sorry, retirees, you need to listen to the stories the kids want to tell. My principal defended the choice of the show to an older attendee (retiree). This person just didn't get it and he responded by saying that these kids live this every day in school. They don't really live the plantation life of Tennessee Williams. Imagine these retirees in the classroom trying to make sense of Schoology, Google Classroom, or even the SmartBoard:  New students, new tools, new stories. Imagine the football coach running a wishbone offense because that's what the retired fans want. Everything changes.
    Yes, this script is challenging:  tech, costume, props, and movement are all essential. Tiamat, the Beholder, all of the creatures took a lot of time to put together for us. If you don't have the means to do the fights safely, then you should pass on this show. However, all of the students and audience members really got into the show. And our retiree that complained about the show still enjoyed, they just didn't get some of it--most notably the gay vs. playing a guy character confusion that appears.
    I'm very much a proponent of programming for the students first. We can get the classics in but I want the kids to be passionate about their stories they present on stage.

Roger Winn
    Theatre Director
    Golden CO

• 8.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 11:49

I just wrapped up She Kills Monsters and it's such a great show!  It is a considerable undertaking depending on your resources and time.  The fights are extensive, my students didn't have much fight choreography experience and as a result we truncated a lot of the fights but even then it was still a considerable amount.  I think the D&D aspect of the show becomes quite secondary in the show.  Most of the people/students in our community aren't familiar with the game but everyone loved it nonetheless, the story and message still shine through.  Happy to discuss it more if you like!

Jasmine Pai

Technical Director

Trinity School

101 West 91st Street

New York, NY 10024

(212) 932-6901

• 9.  RE: Pros and Cons of She Kills Monsters?

Posted 11-14-2018 13:53
    I echo all of the above. We just closed this show and it was wonderful! We also did the Junior Adventurers Edition (which I prefer to the original...I think the story flows better and it is a tad more relatable to the teens). It is hands-down tied for my favorite directing experience ever (Decision Height being the tie). The students LOVED it, the audience loved the 90's throwbacks, I loved it. We had so many powerful, deep conversations as rehearsals unfolded. The story is powerful and I think overshadows anything that might be "controversial" as it ends. It is 90 minutes with no intermission, which I have found to be great for a high school audience. We used Wintercroft Design templates for both our monster masks and the Tiamat (blown up to three times the size) and it was a fun way for the ensemble members to have a big piece of involvement in the show. It is a challenging show, no doubt about it. A lot of moving pieces and the required stage combat makes it seem almost like a musical at times in terms of putting everything together. I would be happy to share more with you if you decide to go forward. Feel free to reach out! All the best to you...

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA